Work for 3 weeks whilst on HB and TC

Meetkat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2864 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Through my mums work I was asked if I would like to cover girl that's going on holiday. She's working in one of the branches of employment agency and its only her working there so they had to get someone from outside. Anyways she's going on holiday for 3 weeks and this is the period I am supposed to cover. Nothing less or more as they only need one person there.

I have to wait till September this year to actually start looking for full time work as my little boy is starting nursery then. So the only reason I'm doing this cover is because it's extra experience and my sister in law just finished high school so she's got spare time to take care of my boy.

I assume that even though it's only 3 weeks of work I still have to let the council know. Can anyone advise what's going to happen next? I'm worried they will stop the HB and then we will have to wait for ages to get back on it and I don't think we will be able to pay the rent. We've already had problems with our council and they not the best at solving problems...

Oh don't know if is important but it's going to be 35h per week and getting paid no more than £8/h.

Thanks

Edited by Meetkat

You will need to inform the council of the job, even if it is only a fixed term contract. The regulations require you to notify the authority "in good time" of any changes in circumstances. "Good time" is a fluid quantity, but is generally taken to mean three weeks unless there are unavoidable circumstances.

Assuming NMW at £7.20 per hour, you would receive approx £250 before tax & NI. CTX and HB benefits would (most likely) cease, but you may qualify for Working Tax Credits.

When you speak to the council, stress the point that this is a short, temporary assignment and that you do not want your claim closed. When the employment ceases, report another change of circumstances and there shouldn't be any delay in reinstating CTX/HB benefits.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If I can chime in, it is worth checking with your local Jobcentre whether they have switched over to Universal Credit. This benefit will supplant the existing benefits.

The rules are that if your circumstances change e.g. this new job, you will be reassessed for your entitlement - and depending on whether your Jobcentre has UC in place - will bounce you across to that new benefit.

WRT working tax credits, isn't there some rule that the job must be full employment and must last (be expected to last) for at least a specified time period of more than 5-7 weeks.

What you have described sounds like a temporary position with a fixed duration of just 3 weeks which would probably rule you out of getting WTC.

You have to think seriously about taking on short time period position such as this as the overall benefit you get from it may be not worth the loss of your current benefits and the hassle of having to reapply for them all.

I would first take a look at the benefits calculators and see if the financial gain for those three weeks is worth it. You may be surprised by how little you gain financially.

On the other hand I suppose the three weeks of on the job work would carry a little additional weight on the CV for when you look for that new Job in September and also if this is a employment agency you might just get lucky and see that perfect job you would like in September on the desk while you are there.