style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2905 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend I live with owes some council tax which he has been paying back monthly.

He owes 246 pounds, and was supposed to make a payment on 15th month.

He forgot,

it was not a deliberate oversight.

The bailiff came to the door,

thought he was going to smash the door down.

I went running down in my nightie wondering what the hell was wrong.

This man just said you are being recorded and can I speak to so n so.

I am working for the council, and I am from Bristol and sutor.

I replied he's not in.

Then he said can you ring him and I said no

because I'm waiting for a very important call. This was true btw.

I have an autistic son who is very depressed

He then gave me the most horrendous look,

didnt believe a word I was saying, and no chance to say anything else.

Pushed a letter in my hand. Get him to ring me.

When my friend got in he rang the man and say I believe you have been to my home,

and tried to explain that it was an oversight.

THe man just said I want the whole amount by Wednesday ,or I am removing goods and your car if you have one.

He asked if I work which I do part time, but my friend said it's nothing to do with you, its my debt,

and we were not living in the same property then.

My friend then put the phone down on this obnoxious person who was really shockingly nasty in his manner.

Rang the council tax to advise them, cant take the debt back.

Gave me a number to call Bristow and sutor number office

Guess what their computers were down.

Though the man on the phone said they can't take goods if they've not been in the house.

my big concern is my huge autistic son who has big anxiety issues and will not take kindly to us being threatened.

Most of the stuff in the house is mine, nothing of any value.

The car is on HP and I need it to get my son to appointments,

he never goes anywhere unaccompanied, because he can't

What can I do

we don't have that money till my friend gets paid again on the 15th

i don't have enough to pay it all from what I have left.

He had every intention of paying it.

any advice in a short time would help 2 days to find this money .......

The bailiff cannot force entry or sell anything unless he gained peaceful entry and has taken details of goods owned by your friend

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The debt is one that is owed by your friend and not you. In fact, the enforcement company should knothole been discussing your friends account with you.

As renegadeimp has correctly sated above, the enforcement agent may only take goods by gaining 'peaceful entry'. In almost all cases, this would mean by being invited into the property.

If your friend has a vehicle, then this can be taken. It it is on hire purchase, then this should make the car 'exempt' from being taken.

If it is the case that the enforcement agent cannot seize any goods, then he will then be more willing to accept a payment proposal. In most cases, a maximum payment arrangement term would be approx 3-4 months (depending on the individual circumstances).

I would hide the car for now , as he may well try to take it on the grounds that he considers it joint property, but as BA indicates it is exempt anyway, but B&S can be silly sometimes.

AS BA and renegadeimp indicate he cannot take your property, noir should he even discuss the debt with you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!