Wrong claimant in small claims case

EMcT
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2929 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have received a claim from the small claims court.

The claim relates to an Estate I was the administrator for.

The claimant is not a beneficiary of the Estate but an agent for some of the beneficiaries.

However, the name of a beneficiary is not stated on the claim form

as I suspect the Agent has not been retained by any beneficiary to make this claim.

Should I just reject this claim as it is not made by a beneficiary.

The value of the claim is about £150 and I would be reasonably confident of winning the case

but absolutely not 100% as it relates to expenses incurred in administering the Estate.

It would be down to the court in their interpretation.

Your comments would be much appreciated.

Hi EMct and Welcome to CAG

I have moved your thread to the correct Forum (General Legal Issues).

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thank you for your response.......however I'm not sure what information you are looking for?

Please explain further?

Thanks

Have you checked with the beneficiaries that he has permission to act/issue the claim?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

The claim relates to the purchase of certificates to aid research into the family tree of the Deceased. The Deceased died intestate. The claimant was an agent for some of the beneficiaries. There were about 30 beneficiaries.

And in purchasing these certificates was used to administer the estate to locate the beneficiaries ?

Yes.

We now have 2 questions on the forum.

Is the claimant a correct claimant.

And has he a legitimate claim in the first place.

My own opinion is in both cases he is wrong.......just want some feedback from you guys.

Cheers

Well I have already pointed to both queries in post #7 ...only you can provide that answer...which will answer both your points.

Yes! A big Heir Hunter!

And who appointed them?

No I have not checked with the beneficiaries if they have retained the Claimant......remember there are 30 of them and it could be any one of them. I suspect the claimant has not been retained by a beneficiary.

In any case would the claim not be more 'legal' if it was in the name of a beneficiary.

He may not be acting for a Beneficiary...hence the claim is in his name.....if he has been used to discover the whereabouts of beneficiaries...and only the executor can authorise this service...then the money is owed to the claimant.

I really dont see where any beneficiaries come into it...unless you appointed their services...then there is no claim.A Beneficiary can not conduct in the executing of an estate.

Thanks for that Andy.

In summary

1 If he has not been retained by a beneficiary to make a complaint / claim about expenses incurred by the Administrator, then his claim is invalid.

and

2 As he has not been retained to find beneficiaries by the Administrator, he has no entitlement to claim in his own right.

Have I got that correct

Thanks

Yes....he needs to claim from the person that appointed him.

Unless I'm missing something, the claim doesn't make financial sense.

Even if the heir hunter is acting for one of the beneficiaries and the court finds that the fees were wrongfully deducted, then, presumably, the £150 then forms part of the estate and has to be shared between the 30 beneficiaries and the heir hunter will only be due 15%-20% of the share of the beneficiary he is representing, which is hardly worth the effort.

£150 on genealogical research to find beneficiaries doesn't sound a lot to me, fwiw. I did some for a family estate on the internet and it took me a few hours to find people.

How does the heir hunter [HH] know about you deducting the £150?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum