Travel Insurance Claim - Disneyland tickets

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2934 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am after some advice about this.

Recently we had to cancel a trip to Paris including Euro Disney because of my son's illness. I have worldwide travel insurance through Natwest's Select Platinum account and the insurance is underwritten by UK Insurance limited. My claim consists of flight tickets, hotel bookings and Disney Park Entry tickets (all non refundable). The insurance company asked for cancellation invoices for all the bookings and a form filled by our GP. I have submitted cancellation invoices for the flights and hotels and also the GP form.

When I called Disney, they said that they don't cancel any tickets (as they are park entry only, not clubbed with any Disney hotels) and hence can't provide a cancellation invoice.

Now the tickets for Disney are valid for a year from the date of booking but for me the trip is cancelled and it is highly unlikely that we may be able to go and reuse the tickets. The insurance company are saying that they will not pay out for tickets until a full year has passed and they are able to check with Disney that the tickets have not been used. I feel it is slightly unfair to have to wait for a year to get that money. I have raised a complaint and mentioned the word 'Ombudsman'.

The policy document only states that 'they will not pay for any expenses that can be recovered from elsewhere'. There is no mention of 'used at a later point in time'.

Where do I stand with this.

I will appreciate any advice from knowledgeable members of this forum.

You would be in the same position with any Travel Insurance. The purpose of Insurance is to cover a loss, for which you are able to provide evidence. Unfortunately, Disney won't cancel the tickets and are allowing you 12 months to use them. This means you won't suffer any loss until the 12 months are up and you have not been able to use them.

Unlikely the FOS would look at such a complaint and i doubt either the Insurers or Disney would budge. I can't see the Insurers paying out and then leaving you with uncancelled tickets which might be used or transfered.

In your position, i would be seeing if the tickets were transferable and trying to sell them to friends or relatives.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies. The problem I have with those tickets is that they are the mini tickets (essentially off peak) which means they are named tickets, so will need id verification. They are not valid during the summer holidays and weekends. I had bought those for the weekdays surrounding the Easter weekend when they would have been valid.

There is no way of surrendering the tickets sensibly because these are pdf print at home tickets.

Can you offer to surrender the tickets to the insurers : proving you then can't use them.

If the insurers decline : you may have to wait the year....

Insurers won't do that. The tickets are for entry to Disneyland and valid for 12 months. They were not bought as part of a package, therefore they will not be cancelled until 12 month passes. If the Insurers took the tickets, after paying out for them, there would be nothing to stop the OP advising Disney she had mislaid the tickets and asking for replacements. The Insurers could not cancel the tickets with Disney.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies. The problem I have with those tickets is that they are the mini tickets (essentially off peak) which means they are named tickets, so will need id verification. They are not valid during the summer holidays and weekends. I had bought those for the weekdays surrounding the Easter weekend when they would have been valid.

There is no way of surrendering the tickets sensibly because these are pdf print at home tickets.

I think the choice is wait 12 months for refund from Insurers or see if Disney can resolve earlier by cancelling the tickets.

What baffles me slightly is how the insurers would know if I used the tickets anyway after a year is up. Would Disney divulge information about usage of tickets to the insurance company. Or is the insurance company merely trying to push off paying up.