Self Employment and Benefits

moving on..
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2959 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Evening,

Am so confused and stressed.

I am registered self employed and was in receipt of WTC until Nov 2015 when I became a full time carer for my son who sadly died in February this year after a very courageous brave battle against a brain tumour.

With the support of my clients I have decided to return to the jobs.

I have not had any issues claiming WTC before now but upon applying this April I have had a phone call discussing if my self employment is 'commercially viable' and being advised that 30 hours worked would be assumed at the national minimum wage.

Is the 30 hour working week for WTC still classed as billed work and business allowed activity?

Initially I estimate I will earn approx £75 per week after expenses .

I am uncertain whether I should go ahead with the WTC claim based on those earnings? (assuming tax credits will work that out at £2.50 ph and then suggest business is not viable and de-register me ). Can self employment be classed as not commercially viable if no tax credits are claimed? Or is this a penalty for claiming tax credits!

Am thinking a claim for universal credit will not be worth the while and I need to be available for my self employment and would not be available for work . and from my vague readings once again there is an assumed self employment income basic of 30 hours x national minimum wage before any award.

Could I just claim housing benefit as on a low income ? If I have to live on the breadline so be it, but I cannot stand the thought of losing my home

Am trying so hard to be independent . With all the past years trauma and sadness and now feel I am stuffed as far as benefits/self employment.

Sorry for rambling but any help/advice would be so much appreciated.