Interest On Money

Speedy75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2945 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Before i contact my solicitor, could somebody please tell me if this sounds about right.

We went through a housing disrepair claim and to cut a long story short, we received £5000 in damages.

This was paid to our solicitor around May 2014, but we were not allowed the money until the landlord payed costs to our solicitor.

We have just heard from our solicitor and we were always told we would get interest on the money.

We have received a cheque for 5048, is £48 interest about right? It would be 2 years next month that the solicitor as held the money.

Thank you

Simple interest is usually set at 8% when using the Courts (section 69)...so it all depends at what rate your Solicitor has applied Speedy.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for replying, but i am still confused.

The case was Legal Aid funded and the Landlord agreed through a Tomlin Order to pay damages at a certain date, which he did.

The solicitor would not let us have the money until the landlord paid costs.

When the Landlord paid the money under the Tomlin Order, should the solicitor have given that to the Legal Aid agency and then the Legal Aid agency send the money?

Obviously i am very happy to receive the damages, but wanted to maker sure that the amount of interest was right.

Thanks

It all depends whether the costs incurred interest...normally not...only the amount claimed ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

• 1 month later...

Under Section 35A Senior Courts Act 1981, the Court has a general discretion in respect of interest to the date of judgment. It normally regards 1% over bank base as being an appropriate rate to reflect the cost of borrowing money. In the present exceptional circumstances where the Bank of England base was only 0.5%, the Court recognised that the cost of borrowing money was greater than this and would therefore normally award 2% over the base rate.

As regards the interest rate to be applied after judgment, Section 17 of the Judgment Act, 1838 currently sets the rate of interest at 8%. The Judge applied this rate to the judgment award to run from the date of judgment until the date of payment.

http://www.muckle-llp.com/enews/interest-rate-on-damages-claims/

The defendant would normally have to pay 8% interest on damages due until the date he pays your solicitor.

Once that money is in your solicitor's hands, you'll only get whatever interest the solicitor actually receives on his/her client bank account, this is basically just a current account so may well only be 0.5%.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS