Ford Engine Damage, Broken Cambelt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6424 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Fiesta Diesel Durotorq TDCi

Just out of warranty cambelt failed causing very expensive engine damage. Ford state in service manual 150,000 mile service life, mine failed at 44,000 miles. !!! do I have any rights here to make a full cost claim ??

Hi Workhouse,

I'm no mechanic, but I'm not sure that a cambelt can go 150k miles without a change?

However, whether you have a claim or not depends on a couple of things. How long have you had the car? Where did you buy it from? Can you put a bit of background to the cars history?

Thanks!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Have you got the service schedule? No way can a cam belt last 150k (unless it's some super dooper new jobbie)

Definately a belt and not a chain?

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

Have you got the service schedule? No way can a cam belt last 150k (unless it's some super dooper new jobbie)

Definately a belt and not a chain?

My DuroTorq 130Bhp TDCi Mondeo is 100,000 for the Cam Belt.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

i stand corrected. just looked in the ford owners forum and they do now. wonder what they're made from. gotta be an up-rated stronger material to guarantee that sort of mileage.

for FAQs & Step By Step

click here

for Templates Library

click here

for Court Bundle

click here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Halifax C C

here

WON 121o121 'vs' Cahoot CC

here

WON 121o121 'vs' LloydsTSB (again)

here

i stand corrected. just looked in the ford owners forum and they do now. wonder what they're made from. gotta be an up-rated stronger material to guarantee that sort of mileage.

Probably made of old Volvo's, as Ford own Volvo now.

Jeremy

Jeremy

I stand corrected - and surprised, technology has obviously moved on!

I worked as a Customer Relations Manager in the Head Office of an extremely well known and popular car manufacturer (I won't say who, but it wasn't Ford) and on receipt of a letter from someone with the circumstances above, I would then go about checking whether or not the car had a full manufacturer's service warranty - i.e. it was serviced at a dealership, rather than an independant garage. If so, then I would then advise the customer that, as the car was within 6 months expiry of the warranty, I would contribute to the costs of having the vehicle repaired, anywhere from 25% to 100% depending on the circumstances surrounding the need for repair.

Most manufacturer's will argue the items is a servicable part and the replacement guideline they issue are exactly that - guidelines, as there are many external factors which can affect the need for an earlier repair time than what is recommended.

However, it might be worth checking out a service report if it was done recently to see what the engineers put on their report, as the cambelt doesn't go just like that - it does show wear prior to actually snapping, and if they didn't pick up on it or advise you it would need repairing soon, you could have a claim against them.

It's also worth taking it up with Ford Head Office and pleading your case to them if you feel it is worth it. I would do so, based on my previous experience!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

I would definately get on to Ford customer service about this, I work at a Ford main dealer and have only ever fitted one cambelt to a duratorq Fiesta and that was due to water pump failure. Have yet to see a cambelt fail on that engine. Ford customer service are sometimes pretty suprising in their goodwill offers, i've seen similar incidents that Ford have contributed 100%.

On another note, Chiefengineer, you're Mondeo uses a timing chain, none of the 2000 on shape Mondeos have timing belts.

• Haha 1

I would definately get on to Ford customer service about this, I work at a Ford main dealer and have only ever fitted one cambelt to a duratorq Fiesta and that was due to water pump failure. Have yet to see a cambelt fail on that engine. Ford customer service are sometimes pretty suprising in their goodwill offers, i've seen similar incidents that Ford have contributed 100%.

On another note, Chiefengineer, you're Mondeo uses a timing chain, none of the 2000 on shape Mondeos have timing belts.

Thanks Syrill, that is useful to know. I assume chains are stronger than belts? Probably more expensive to replace too?

Jeremy

Jeremy

"Thanks Syrill, that is useful to know. I assume chains are stronger than belts? Probably more expensive to replace too?"

Timing chains are alot stronger and designed to last the life of the engine, i've yet to see a chain break, but the tensioners can be troublesome with some manufacturers.