Problem with a Roofer

yus786
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm hoping this is the correct thread, if not (mods), please move it

Need some advice please.

I put an add on ratedpeople for someone to fix 2 bay windows as they were leaking. This was late Dec 2015

A guy called me within hours and suggested he could do this, and will guarantee his work for 9 years. He asked for some pics and then quoted £400

I know this is high but with 9 years guarantee, you can’t go wrong. He also had some good feedback. Went ahead with the job

He came a few days later, spent about an hour by painting some fiber seal on and took £400. I then asked for the invoice which he emailed.

A few days later it rained and both windows were still leaking. I called him. He came up with some excuses and suggested he comes back to put some more stuff on.

Long story short, this happened about 4 times. He cancelled 3 times (so i have called him 7 times in total) and now he won’t even pick up my phone or answer my text messages

Where can I go from here?

I just want the job to be completed or my £400 back so I can get someone else

As soon as I saw the " painting some fiber seal on "..my alarm bells would be ringing for £400 ?.......perhaps a full replacement would be more in line with the fee ?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Is this roofer a member of any trade organisation with a complaints process ? If not then you might have to try the small claims court.

I am not sure Rated People get involved, but you could leave a negative review. But before you take further action, you need to write a letter to the address you have for him, advising that the situation is not acceptable, that he has not performed the job he was paid to do to a satisfactory standard, which was to fix leaking bay windows at a cost of £400. That you have given him the chance to remedy the work on 4 occasions and he has made excuses not to attend. That if the work is not done as he was contracted to do or the £400 is not refunded within say 14 days, you will have no option but to issue a claim through the county court. This will incur relevant fees and costs. Head the letter, 'letter before action'.

In the meantime, what are you doing with the windows ? Have you got anyone else to look at the problem and to advise ?

When i had work done, to fit about 25 tiles and to storm proof it, with a 10 year guarantee it cost about £800. It was done by a Roofer who was a member of their main trade body and an insurance certificate arrived within a few weeks. £400 to apply some waterproofing sealant liquid is a rip off.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you have his details from his invoice you could send a LBA and issue a moneyclaim if he doesnt resolve the problem.

The biggest risk with claiming is even if you win, you cant guarantee he will have the means to pay and you will be back to square 1 minus fees for court aswell.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Is this roofer a member of any trade organisation with a complaints process ? If not then you might have to try the small claims court.

I am not sure Rated People get involved, but you could leave a negative review. But before you take further action, you need to write a letter to the address you have for him, advising that the situation is not acceptable, that he has not performed the job he was paid to do to a satisfactory standard, which was to fix leaking bay windows at a cost of £400. That you have given him the chance to remedy the work on 4 occasions and he has made excuses not to attend. That if the work is not done as he was contracted to do or the £400 is not refunded within say 14 days, you will have no option but to issue a claim through the county court. This will incur relevant fees and costs. Head the letter, 'letter before action'.

In the meantime, what are you doing with the windows ? Have you got anyone else to look at the problem and to advise ?

When i had work done, to fit about 25 tiles and to storm proof it, with a 10 year guarantee it cost about £800. It was done by a Roofer who was a member of their main trade body and an insurance certificate arrived within a few weeks. £400 to apply some waterproofing sealant liquid is a rip off.

Many thanks for this. I will be sending off a letter tomorrow.

No i haven't asked anyone else to come have a look. Was hoping to resolve this first.

That paint on sealer is brilliant stuff for a temp repair

It is not a perminant fix and cheep to buy so way overpriced.

Frankly the bloke is a cowboy and will not resolve this unless he puts a new roof on

You have seen how he works he won't change now

• Haha 1

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)