Long term overpayment of £50 a month (10+ years)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been employed by my ftse 100 company for approximately 14 years. Our payslips are complex with overtime, benefits, car allowances etc but I noticed on a yearly statement I have received £600 last year. On further investigation of the payslips it appears I've been being paid a £50 allowance monthly for additional responsibility. About 1%ish of salary so I didn't notice a huge amount going into my account.

I've informed my line manager that I am receiving this payment and to my mind shouldn't be as I've no idea what it is for. I assume he will discuss with the elusive HR team.

I don't have any issue paying back over a long period. Are there any legal threats to my employment position? I can't see anything specific in my terms of employment?

Thanks

No legal threats from what I can see. Perhaps see the hr manager yourself and discuss it

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I can scarcely imagine that this could have any negative impact on your employment situation.

Of course, if they start a claim the money – even at one go – and you cause any kind of trouble then they may take a dim view and this could have an impact.

However, so that you know generally where you are on this please follow the link to estoppel and read up about it.

Also, I suggest that you document everything that is said by anybody about this from now on.

The most important thing is that you keep a clean conscience and act with clean hands – these are the kind of phrases which are used when you're dealing with estoppel.

You have noticed the discrepancy, you have pointed it out to somebody in authority as quickly as possible. You have acted in good faith all the way and there is a good reason for not having notice the overpayment over such longer period.

One of the tests will be whether or not you can afford to repay it. If you do have the liquidity to repay it then you certainly would be required to repay it if it came to a matter of law.

However, I'm sure that you want to stay on good relations with your employer and so I'm sure that you will be aware of the appropriate attitude and the appropriate action to take.

Of course, your employer could also do the decent thing and write the money off.

• Confused 1

Wow thanks for the quick responses, I really appreciate it. I feel such a tool as it does state deputisation on my payslip but not sure what I would be deputising for about £30 after tax a month.

Have a quiet word with your HR manager. Explain everything so its out in the open, and your conscience is clean and they see that YOU came forward about it. Not them chasing you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Hi, I spoke to HR which is a telephone helpline. They can see it back to 2011. They basically said speak to your Line Manager, they decide if it should carry on!

I think he may just stop it in hr system!

You could b lucky then. Just stay calm, dont pressure anything. Youve told the manager, now wait for your next payslip.

• Confused 1