New Car Nightmare

colilipp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a brand new Toyota Auris (Touring Sports Design - Hybrid) in August this year and as soon as I picked up the car my troubles began.

The car I test drove the week previous was the Icon-Plus which was being upgraded to the Design model but as the salesman pointed out this was in my favour as the new car had 17'' wheels, auto engine start and a better trim. So was taken in by this but when I picked that car up it did not have sat-nav. This was now an option and it was all my fault for not noticing this on the internal Toyota bulletin that they showed me but should not have seen according to memo's later.

In due course I stood my ground and the dealership relented and retro fitted this but I will return to this story later.

Whilst all this was going on I noticed that my petrol consumption was pretty poor and complained that I was only getting around 40 MPG when their own brochure indicated 70+.

I started to complain about this and the dealership were very condescending and tried to blame my driving technique initially then tried tell me that the engine management computer needed at least year to settle down before scale of economy would work!

I mentioned that I was already a hybrid driver (Prius) and was fully aware of both driving technique and consumption realities. both of which were ignored. I then complained to the finance company (yes you guessed it - Toyota Finance) and stated all the issues I had but they too pretty much ignored my complaints.

Eventually, the dealership had to take the car back to fit the sat-nav and in doing so the car broke down (dramatically) warning lights came on the dashboard saying stop the vehicle now, major problem. As the Toyota driver limped back to my house the car was coughing and spluttering with smoke coming out the exhaust etc.

This resulted in the car being towed away and lo-and -behold three weeks later was back in my possession and the general manager informing me that the sat-nav was fitted and a figure of 58.7 MPG was on the computer -NOT!

For a start the sat-nav was the latest software version and the engineer who fitted had problems getting it to work. When I switched it on I could not turn down the voice announcements and or enter any details into it. so this was now a chocolate teapot!

When I looked at the system computer is was still reading low consumption as it was before and where they got 58.7 MPG I do not know!

So I got back onto the dealership and the finance company to complain again and guess what they repeated the same old garbage as before that the car was and always was in good working order, my driving skills were questioned again and the computer needed more time to find its brain.

I have been trying to reject this car since I bought it, I have been very patient with the dealership although I came close to losing my temper with the sales manager who suggested that I 'didn't have a leg to stand on' and this was all in my imagination.

The finance company I now know have a conflict of interest in being linked to the parent company so they will not help me apart from fill up my email box with nonsense.

I did get an article published in the Auto Express that helped enormously with the sat-nav issue but that now is mixed blessings as I can't use it so now have moved onto the Ombudsman but this has now been running for months and no end in sight to when I get rid of the car. Any advice welcomed.

NB by the way car now sat on my drive and not being used - as its costing a lot of money for petrol, gone back to my old Prius!

Welcome colilipp

What type of finance is it ie car loan or hire purchase ??

Did you write a proper letter of rejection and list the problems ??

The finance deal was through Toyota Finance as stated on a 0% deal and a letter was provided to both the dealership & the finance company that I wanted to reject the car (as advised by motor codes)

The type of finance makes a big difference, so if you look at the agreement it will say what type of loan it is.

I can only see loans and leases, so if that is what you have, that removes your main options and the fight will be between you and the seller with no third party involvement.

Do you know what the problem was that caused you to break down ?

To reject you are going to have to show that the car was either 'not fit for purpose' or 'not of satisfactory quality', can you do that ?