Money paid into wrong Account

dillon21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3052 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

As anyone ever had the unfortunate problem of a payment due for them go into the wrong account a customer paid a online payment into an account but two digits on the account number were incorrect obviously an account must exists with that number as the payment didn't bounce back the payment was from a Barclay account goa Santander account

HELP

The customer has to contact the bank to inform them of the error. It has to then be confirmed with the destination bank to be cancelled and refunded. It happens a lot, but some banks are very reluctant to do anything.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I have just received a text from customer saying they have raised it with their bank and they have put a trace on it but unbelievable they are away until the 19th so won't be able to fill in the required form I am at my wits end

Hi Dillon,

Is this a payment that should have been paid to you by a customer, and the pay't has failed to arrive.

Have you shipped goods or provided services yet.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Dillon,

The problem is that this is out of your control completely, except for whether you need to do any further work for the customer before the bank payment issue is resolved.

All you can do is wait for your customer and their bank to reclaim the funds.

Or tell the customer this really isn't your problem and you require your payment within however many days, regardless of their issue with their bank.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi

Yes this is the problem we can't do a thing they have been told a letter will go,out to their home address in the next 7days so I presume this means nothing gets sorted until they are back home joeyjoec I am presuming there must be an account with the sort code and account number as it hasn't bounced back into the customers account

Until the money reaches your account you have not yet been paid and it is 100% not your problem, except for the fact that you are out of pocket.

I would be insisting the payer remake the payment and sort theyre own problem out later, i suppose how insistant you are depends on whether this is a regular client who you do work for or a one off.

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Their bank allegedly says 7 days. Write to them giving them 14-21 days to give you full payment, or youll take further action with no notice. You cant be sure theyre telling the truth. Especially now they are 'away' until 19th. You have a business to run. Non payment isnt your problem. Its the customers.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Today I popped to my bank and they could see the money had gone into an account with the wrong number I provided on the invoice

the customers are old customers done loads for them they can't pay out again which is fair enough

will have to,wait to see the outcome

my bank told me write to our security department as well then tonight we had a call from the customers bank which we missed so obs things must be moving hopefully in right direction

Edited by slick132
spacing added

Hi Dillon,

Please use spacing in posts. They make more sense with paragraphs and punctuation and are easier to read. Post above has been edited accordingly.

So did your customers paid into the wrong a/c because you made an error on your invoice. That wasn't made clear before.

I hope you get some better news about this soon.

Thread moved into Barclays Bank forum

• 2 weeks later...

If it's from a Barclays account all the bank can do is trace the payment and contact the beneficiary. Ultimately if the person that received the funds wrongfully doesn't want to give back the funds there's not an awful lot Barclays can do at this point, especially if it was sent through faster payments.

Actually they can if the sender confirms its the wrong account. banks regularly do this. barclays dont have a special law that stops them.

They can still put a block on the transaction by contacting the bank. Upon confirmation it can be revoked in various circumstances or they'd fall foul of money laundering laws

They can still put a block on the transaction by contacting the bank. Upon confirmation it can be revoked in various circumstances or they'd fall foul of money laundering laws

But that's upon confirmation from the wrongful beneficiary, if not they will struggle to action anything. If the payment has been paid straight from the Barclays account into another bank and the recipient doesn't say otherwise, there isn't much they can do to move forward from there.

This is unless Barclays are at error, i.e it was over telephone banking and the PB put the wrong sort code and account number.

• 1 month later...

Ok the outcome was the guys who account it went into spent some of it which we can't get back cause he's on benefits so Barclays where completely wrong in reassuring our customer there would be no problem in getting the money back

Hi Dillon,

So have the banks recovered any of the money for you. If so approx how much of the total mis-paid ?

Hi

Yes they did he spent £263.00 which they were hoping to get back when another credit went into his account but because it was benefit money they weren't allowed to touch it they did ask him to repay it voluntarilly but he refused so they told him they could no longer have him as a customer the only thing we are hoping is because Barclays took so long to act and have admitted they should have dealt with things quicker they may cough up but not holding our breath