style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I had a business debt,

I had written to the supplier several times as they hiked up the price on what was agreed when it was invoiced.

Recently a bailiff they transferred the case to turned up

- He had a camera filming me, he did not tell me this was happening or ask if he could film?

I asked why - he said for security?

as if a small elderly person against a big 6 foot ex army bailiff could become violent

- I am not talking about a lot of money here but

I want to know how these people that are there to terrify you should be treated.

There had been no court papers served and had there been I would have happily gone to court and defended the case.

This man suggested I would have to pay his large charges on top of the outstanding balance.

He said coming pre court he was doing me a favour!!

I thought high court bailiffs could only come threatening/intimidating once court action had been completed?

these people are on television apparently

- if ever there is a next time I want to know how to respond to them

and share this with others so we are all prepared!

Let me also say that you shouldn't worry about the camera. The body worn video cameras are an extremely good idea. There are too many enforcement agents not using them and it is when you get a visit from somebody who is not making any record of what happens between you that you should start to get worried.

You should welcome the fact that the interchange is being recorded and if there is ever any suspicion that it is not being recorded then you should ask about it and ask why it isn't being done and even think about making a recording yourself with a telephone for instance.

Let me also say that you shouldn't worry about the camera. The body worn video cameras are an extremely good idea. There are too many enforcement agents not using them and it is when you get a visit from somebody who is not making any record of what happens between you that you should start to get worried.

You should welcome the fact that the interchange is being recorded and if there is ever any suspicion that it is not being recorded then you should ask about it and ask why it isn't being done and even think about making a recording yourself with a telephone for instance.

Great point right there from BF... Its better to have it recorded... However are you sure there isnt any court action yet?

Sure it wasnt just a Debt Collector?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

This doesnt make any sense. A BAILIFF as oppossed to a DCA can only visit to take away goods after a court case and judgment against you. Anyone doing it before court action is just a thief, phone the police.

how long can they retain these recordings for? and can they fall into the ''wrong'' hands ?

This subject has actually been one that has reached the Local Government Ombudsman. I am on a train right now with less than perfect internet access and will write more about the LGO recommendation shortly.

bet this was a DCA.

who was the company

got any paperwork from them?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sounds like a bailiff that also does pre court debt collection.

His normal work would be enforcement, but he can be tasked with essentially asking politely for the money

or an arrangement and explaining that if it should go to court,

then further costs would be added and they may then remove goods.

Did he leave you any paperwork?

Did he say he HAD added fees, or that fees would be added if it goes to court?

What company?

this was a business debt, from another supplier.

It had been disputed due to quality and invoicing error

( ie it will cost this much but when we invoice you we will charge you a few hundred more)

Could you please post back with answers to the following:

What was the name of the firm that the bailiff worked for?

Did he provide you with any documentation?

What fees did he charge?

Did you pay any money to him?