How can we Sort the Housing Shortage out.Many are without affordable homes.Flatpacks?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Very interesting citizenB.

But finally i have found how to live and run my business in the most economical way.And all i will have to buy is food and a few essentials.

The world has been waiting for this.

Are you ready.

Out of my nest and straight into this.

This man lives in this tiny camper, but wait, you must see inside

http://twib.in/l/A588GRo9a8Aq

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is quite possible to build a decent sized house for say 2 people for about £30k. They can make prefabricated panels that fix together like a jigsaw, with all of the holes ready for service pipes and cables. They just need someone to do detailed plans of a site, the services that need connecting, foundations and the houses to be fixed together. Government has plenty of land available, if it did not sell off for half of the market value to developers. You can probably build small sites of say 12 houses within a couple of months, ready to live in, that would be ideal to add to local towns and villages.

In Australia they have a system there, where you can visit a house design site, where you see a large number of different houses with different design layouts and they are ready to be built wherever you can buy a suitable plot of land. The company that has these design sites will also have plots for sale. It just saves time getting an architect and the planning permission is dealt with, as the houses selected are suitable for plots of a certain size. And you don't end up with huge new estates with all the same looking houses, as these houses can be built anywhere.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 weeks later...

Government might look to prefabs as part of housing shortage solution.

http://news.sky.com/story/new-wave-of-prefabs-to-tackle-housing-crisis-10638268

I think this is a good idea and there is no reason why these should be of poor quality. With modern materials, new technology to build parts and modern ways of building, they should be able to build hundreds of thousands of these within a few years.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Government might look to prefabs as part of housing shortage solution.

http://news.sky.com/story/new-wave-of-prefabs-to-tackle-housing-crisis-10638268

I think this is a good idea and there is no reason why these should be of poor quality. With modern materials, new technology to build parts and modern ways of building, they should be able to build hundreds of thousands of these within a few years.

Loads of these sprung up after the 2nd world war - they were used initially for those who had been bombed out of their homes and then later on they were used to house homeless people whilst they languished on the council housing lists.

Making these available at sensible rents for those who are either homeless or on the bottom end of the housing lists would see private renting come down I think.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you look at government owned land deals such as was highlighted by a recent TV programme, they sell the land at half the market rate and developers don't build affordable homes. At a site near Bath, the land was sold off cheap and they are building homes many of which are excess of £1 million. I get the impression that they (government local/national) don't want to build lots of affordable homes on such sites, as it means more people will be housed and therefore more demand on public services. By building larger expensive homes, it means less people housed and the type of people who are resident will have the finances not to be a drain on public services.

When they build these prefab homes, you can bet they choose sites in less desirable places, where the developments have less impact on local services.

It's all well and good having cheap green homes but!, what about the huge sums it costs to purchase a building plot.

Government holds a lot of land on behalf of taxpayers.

Church of England owns a lot of land and can presumably offer some of this for building. These could build affordable leasehold properties. As the official state church they do have some responsibility.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for putting all those interesting links on.

Just want to say a few things ask a few questions.For anyone who knows answers or feel free to have your say.

I caught a glimpse of a news report a couple of times today saying how the housing crisis is building.People who even working cannot afford anymore to live in the places they work,and who do essential jobs.I will try to find the link and put it on my next post.I feel so angry that 100s of millions of pounds has been spent housing people in temporary accommodation but not building affordable housing after knowing for years a problem was building.

Some politicians must be saddened by this news and should get to grips with this problem.At national level.

Councils who have run out of cash to help the homeless,some with children.Sorry we cannot help you and having to watch them walk off into the darkness.

The council workers obviously feeling terrible but unable to help.Can you believe this is happening today in Great Britain.

Many different people of all races,all wages, all kinds of jobs working together and helping their local communities and creating diversity and a vibrant feeling in the big cities such as London.This could change if many are forced out.

We in these forums have known or felt this for years.Or even experienced homelessness for many different reasons.At some time in our lives.

Going back for a moment to 2008 in America when i saw Tent Cities on the outskirts or even in the middle of cities and had a lively debate with some over there who did not feel any sympathy for them.

Many not realising that this kind of thing could happen to them.

And if this problem continues i see tent cities starting here on the edges of cities.

Bankfodder wrote about possible inflation next year,can you imagine what may happen to people on variable rate mortgages.Who are already on the edge of a precipice.

Many have already said that cheaper housing is available.Whole towns can be put up in months if the will is there.

Forget bricks and mortar,times are changing,move to the flat pack homes.The answer is here,they are safe,reasonable priced,economical in all ways for the people that would live in them.

But of course think for a moment,who would be the winners and who would be the losers.

Would some powerful ones try to block this and why.Perhaps you can try to answer that.

I had better calm down a touch just in case i am not making much sense.

Let me think of rumours i have heard about affordable housing,And the building companies building big new estates.

Now affordable housing means to me,people who are on the minimum wage in their towns,cities being able to afford housing in the area they live or work in.

As simple as that.Whether a house or a flat.

Now when a company build houses and signs a contract saying they will build so many affordable houses or face a million pound fine for not doing so,surely they do, not build this into the cost of the housing project and laugh behind the backs of the council planners.Knowing they have no intention of doing so.

Because if this wild rumour is true they would be regretting that if i was a council planner.

The next paragraph in the contract would read if you do not you will be fined 6 million and 30% of the land you have used will seized back for local people for affordable housing.

Housing issues have now moved past the profit,profit profit mentality of the powerful ones.They need taming a touch.

If the above i have written is true of course.Do you know?

I am going now,i am saddened by this news in modern day Great Britain.

These kinds of problems can affect anyone.

Here is the report,i myself will now take it in fully.

Darren Rodwell, leader of Barking and Dagenham council, said: "We're now saying there are people in our community that we can no longer facilitate. And I never got into politics to say to people, I can't help you anymore."

Councils spent £3.5bn on temporary housing in last five years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38016728

• 2 weeks later...

Hardly 'affordable' housing, but relevant nonetheless

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-berkeley-idUKKBN13R0KM

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

• 4 months later...

Latest idea from the Mayor of London !

Mayor to subsidise 'naked' homes solution to London housing crisis

Sadiq Khan adds weight to scheme to construct spartan apartments that will sell for up to 40% less than usual new-builds

Who needs internal walls or a fitted kitchen anyway? As house prices soar ever further out of reach, London’s mayor, Sadiq Khan, is to subsidise a new generation of ultra-basic “naked” homes wthat will sell for up to 40% less than standard new builds.

The apartments will have no partition walls, no flooring and wall finishes, only basic plumbing and absolutely no decoration. The only recognisable part of a kitchen will be a sink. The upside of this spartan approach is a price tag of between £150,000 and £340,000, in reach for buyers on average incomes in a city where the average home now costs £580,000.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/24/mayor-subsidise-naked-homes-london-housing-crisis-sadiq-khan-new-builds

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

At the same time,

Housing crisis: more than 200,000 homes in England lie empty

Birmingham is the city outside London with the most unused properties, followed by Bradford and Liverpool, new figures show

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/20/over-200000-homes-in-england-still-lying-empty-despite-housing-shortages

BCOBS