0844 Numbers, Rules Please?

Speck1965
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3126 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wonder if someone could clarify the rules on the use of 0844 numbers for calling customer services?

I thought the use of such numbers was outlawed in new rules that came about in June 2013 but I have been dealing with "Just Go Holidays" who tell me that the rules do not apply as tour operators are exempt.

Just so I don't go making a fool of myself could someone briefly outline the facts?

Many Thanks

http://www.fairtelecoms.org.uk/consumer-contracts-regulations.html

Exemptions

The Consumer Contracts Regulations don’t apply to all types of company with the following being exempted:•financial services, including banks and insurance companies (now covered by an FCA rule from 26th October 2015)

•gambling

•construction, sale of immovable property and residential letting contracts

•package travel and timeshare

•roundsmen on a regular route

•purchases from vending machines

•single telecommunications connections such as public payphones and public Wi-Fi, including that provided in establishments such as cafés

http://www.soh.co.uk/will-your-08-numbers-be-against-the-law.aspx#.VjxVoJJFA5s

Does it apply to you?

If you're selling goods, services or digital content to consumers the changes apply to you.

Financial services companies are not affected by this change. But, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) is considering whether it could introduce similar measures for customers calling banks, insurance companies and investment brokers.

Currently there's no requirement for package holiday and timeshare companies to make a change either.

Some technical helplines may be exempt as well. This is as long as they're not using lines that customers are also expected to call to discuss problems with something that they've already bought.

Sadly it looks as though they might be right.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-cuts-off-costly-calls

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There are apparently sites that can offer alternative numbers for some companies, although that is not without risk.

Or you could try the following.

You could also look on a company's website for numbers that are meant for people to use if they're calling from overseas. Believe it or not, some companies now block these numbers if you're calling them from a UK landline or mobile. Alternatively, you could call a company's sales line, if it's free (and let's face it, they generally are as they want our business), and ask to be transferred at their expense.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

But that link says;

“We want consumers to be confident to shop with a range of traders. The new rights announced today will mean consumers are entitled to

the same level of protection whether they are purchasing goods or services online, at home or in a shop.”

How can they differentiate, have they a vested interest or shares in holiday companies.

Or you could try the following.

You could also look on a company's website for numbers that are meant for people to use if they're calling from overseas. Believe it or not, some companies now block these numbers if you're calling them from a UK landline or mobile.

Although presumably if you suppress your Caller ID they wouldn't know where you are calling from?