Royal Mail and their Custom handling charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have discovered a knitting wool that is virtually impossible to purchase in the UK. The one store that does sell it has to order it from the UK/Canada once it has been ordered from the UK website.

I found a company in the USA that sells packs of "mini skeins" at a reasonable price which allows me to then decide if I want to buy the full skeins. I set up a subscription to join this "mini skeins club".

The price including postage is US $ 26.00 Just over £15.00. So I was a little miffed to discover that I had to pay £11.41 for my package before Royal Mail would let me have it.

£3.41 VAT and £8.00 handling charge !!

I have had to unsubscribe from the club because this is just too expensive each month :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have discovered a knitting wool that is virtually impossible to purchase in the UK. The one store that does sell it has to order it from the UK/Canada once it has been ordered from the UK website.

I found a company in the USA that sells packs of "mini skeins" at a reasonable price which allows me to then decide if I want to buy the full skeins. I set up a subscription to join this "mini skeins club".

The price including postage is US $ 26.00 Just over £15.00. So I was a little miffed to discover that I had to pay £11.41 for my package before Royal Mail would let me have it.

£3.41 VAT and £8.00 handling charge !!

I have had to unsubscribe from the club because this is just too expensive each month :(

Can you get the price below £15? As then there would be no VAT, and then no handling charge ......

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Can you get the price below £15? As then there would be no VAT, and then no handling charge ......

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

Not really Bazza, the lady who runs the club, makes up packs of 6 small skeins (25 yards each) as samples of the new stock each month - and that is the whole idea. To have one skein less, perhaps (which is something I did consider) would be an inconvenience for her and a nuisance for me :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Do you have to pay customs charges on delivery charges? As citizenb said it was over £15 including P&P, without P&P, it should be well under £15. What did she put on the customs form?

On the website, the Subscription merges the postage and the cost of the product and this is how it is shown on the custom form. However, on the form it seems to provide a section for postage and fees and then another section for the value of the contents.

Could it be that easy, if she were to recalculate showing the postage separate from the content value it might be allowed through ?

BCOBS

Do you have to pay customs charges on delivery charges? As citizenb said it was over £15 including P&P, without P&P, it should be well under £15. What did she put on the customs form?

Yes, you do.

This is the transcript from a correspondence with the HMRC:

Import VAT is charged at the same rate that applies to similar goods sold in the UK and applies to goods over £15 in value. The value of the goods for import VAT is based on the price paid plus postage, packing and insurance, plus any import duty charged.

If the value of the goods exceeds the relief limits, duty and/or tax is payable on the full value not just the value above the allowance.

If customs charges are payable upon importation, a handling administration fee is also charged by the carrier to cover the costs for carrying out customs procedures, paying any customs duties or VAT due and collecting it from the addressee.

More detailed information can be obtained from the Public Notice No.143 "A guide for international post users" via the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/notice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Ah, thank you san_d :(

BCOBS

One thing you can do (I know it's not ethical, but...) is to ask the shipper to understate the cost of the item on the parcel, alternatively to exclude the shipping costs. I do this regularly. Feel free to shoot me.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

One thing you can do (I know it's not ethical, but...) is to ask the shipper to understate the cost of the item on the parcel, alternatively to exclude the shipping costs. I do this regularly. Feel free to shoot me.

It is an idea to consider :)

BCOBS

I don't think shooting san_d is an idea to consider;)

:lol: Absolutely not a good idea :)

BCOBS

One thing you can do (I know it's not ethical, but...) is to ask the shipper to understate the cost of the item on the parcel

Unfortunately, this would be in breach of the USA postal Service conditions. I believe it runs the risk of a prosecution and fines if the sender was caught.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Or… if you know anyone in the States who could buy the wool on your behalf and send it to UK as a 'gift'…

These charges are a massive rip off!!:-x

US merchants are strictly regulated and licenced as retailers or wholesalers so their hands are very much tied. If they were to try and use the methods above to avoid any payments or charges they will be in big trouble with the exception of getting someone else in the US to buy it and then send it. There is a ceiling on the value of gifts but that is not subject to VAT automatically so people dont check so vigourously. Also, the carriers and Customs dont have experts assessing the value of goods other than specific items like cars and diamonds so the sender can write down almost anything they want.

Indeed, I don't think I would like to ask the trader to put herself in jeopardy.

BCOBS