transferring visa from old passport

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The corollary of the rules that employers are required to vet and ensure non-UK nationals are legally entitled to work in the UK is that employers are giving erroneous advice to potential employees – and potentially illegal advice if they are not prescribed providers under the relevant provisions of the Immigration Acts.

The point in question:

Mr X has ILR and the original stamp is in an expired passport, the new passport has a new stamp which refers to the visa being in the old passport. The potential employer says, wrongly, that no, you can’t have a job because you are supposed to transfer your visa.

In reality the immigration rules say that this is not the case, and any visa endorsed and still valid in an old passport remains valid…and does not have to be transferred.

In England advise is a verb (a doing word) advise/advising/advised, advice is a noun. I might ask for advice or give advice.

The same with license (verb) license/licensing/licensed, but one would have a driving licence (noun).

I suppose at a guess it is how long that visa has before it expires

If it is still current and valid i can see no reason not to reference it in a previous passport

To do as I think you mean (refer to old visa in new passport) would be a common sense approach, but that is not what happens.

The point of the original post is that ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain ) is of course indefinite; it does not expire.

If potential employers, through their lack of understanding, advise that they cannot employ a person until the old visa is transferred to the new passport:

a) They are wrong

b) They are encouraging people to spend money which is not necessary (the cost to transfer is £260 per person for a postal application (or £660 in person)).

In England advise is a verb (a doing word) advise/advising/advised, advice is a noun. I might ask for advice or give advice.

The same with license (verb) license/licensing/licensed, but one would have a driving licence (noun).