Making the Veterans badge a decoration

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Making the Veterans badge a decoration will protect it because it is illegal under section 197 of the Army Act 1955 to use these to pretend to be a member of the armed forces. (This act will be superseded by the Armed Forces Act 2006 in November.)

The act makes wearing any military decoration, badge, wound stripe or emblem without authority a criminal offense. It is also illegal to wear a replica "as to be calculated to deceive", and to falsely represent yourself as someone entitled to wear any such award.

Making the Veterans Badge a military decoration will give it protection under these said acts and illegal for non veterans to wear it and use it to secure favor such as discounts given to true veterans

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/110201

Edited by citizenB

AFAIK, and was led to believe, the AA1955 only applies to servicemen?

Although I would be very happy to be corrected on this, as WALT season is looming!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

the act make it a offense to say you are a member of the armed forces when you are not and applys to all who make those claims, there has been recently a few cases up in courts around the country of people claiming to be ex members of the armed forces and trying to claim or even claim benefits which are open to ex armed forces members and geting found out , but the small armed forces veterans badge is at the moment unprotected from this abuse and is being misused across the country .you can find them on eBay for a few pounds and these are being used to obtain goodwill from people who belive they are helping a true vet.

all those who are entitled to ware the badge must apply for it from the MOD

https://www.gov.uk/apply-medal-or-veterans-badge/apply-for-a-veterans-badge

You can apply if you were in the:

• army
  • Royal Navy
  • Royal Marines
  • Royal Air Force (RAF)
  • volunteer or regular reserves

there is no other way of receiving it officially

I myself cannot see the purpose of wearing a vetrerens badge

I get my awards out once a year as a mark of respect, not some nationalistic flag waving lapel pin badge

The majority of those who served do not wish to brag about the period in which they served

To many bad memories

But then you would need to be an individual who has actually served in the armed forces to realise that

Edited by obiter dictum

I am trying to work out the point of this thread

The point appears to be the signing of the petition - it would appear to me that there might have been some misuse of the badge and whoever has started the petition seeks to protect it.

Thread relocated in the correct forum :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

i myself am a proud vet who did active service for many years, and i don't go around wearing those little tin badges, because i find them disgusting that's all i get from the powers up top for my service and health being shot apart , but this badge is being misused by others and they are playing on peoples heart strings and receiving help they don't have any rights to.

The veterans badge can be used to gain free or reduced admissions to many theme parks, air shows, military shows, rallies along with a whole host of other events.

I dont wear it when out shopping etc as most have no idea what it is and the dds card is much better in those circumstances giving discounts of between 10 and 50% in lots of shops.

Most mcds for instance do not recognise the badge, but give employee discount with the dds card.

An air show I recently attended allowed air side(obviously not live air side but airfield non public) parking as we were wearing the badge and they didn't charge entry either.

I will sign this, and would ask other too. I have come across a few salts in my time and any way to cause them difficulty is a good thing.

I cannot see the point of this craze of lapel badges

Senator Kerry started this fad in the USA with wearing the stars and stripes on his Globe Trots

Then our own Jeremy Hunt with the NHS pin

It is nothing more than posturing

I am proud to have served in the army but i do not brag about the fact i did

OK we get your opinion now OD.

I've signed it also, and believe that as part of your de-kit procedure, along with your certificate of service you are awarded the Vets Badge, then

if/when you require a replacement you supply a copy of your certificate of service..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!