Window Company Botched Job, Refuse to Correct Work

Boat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Recently, I had some UPVC windows fitted..

Shortly after the job, I noticed that there were a number of defects with the glass and frame i.e. cracked glass, damage to frame etc

As per the company's guarantee/policy I contacted the firm.

I was then told to email them detailing the issues. I did this immediately, however they ignored my email.

So a week later I called again. I was given no apology, instead I was told to provide some additional details, which I did.

In my follow up email, I politely asked to be contacted within 7 days to arrange for remedial work to take place... Once again, they have ignored my email.

I am looking for advice on what I should do?

If it helps, the firm is a 'check a trade' listed company.. However I am shocked that a firm would act like this.

Hi

The first thing to do is name and shame then (if you can) upload some pictures of the damage (preferably as a pdf file)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks for your reply..

At the moment, I would prefer not to go down the route of naming and shaming.. All I would like is for the problem to be rectified.

As they have not responded to my emails, I was hoping someone had some advice on what action I could take?

Check a trade do a complaints handling system so you could try them.

If you have the registered address of the window company, you could try a written formal complaint to them

As they are not responding to emails, you could ring them but get the call recorded.

Trading Standards in the area they are based is another call you could make.

At then end of the day, if they refuse to do anything, your only real prospect is court action for breach of contract.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Do you have a FENCA certificate issued?

Do they comply with current building regulations?

Sounds like court will be the only option with these rouge traders

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Check a trade do a complaints handling system so you could try them.

If you have the registered address of the window company, you could try a written formal complaint to them

As they are not responding to emails, you could ring them but get the call recorded.

Trading Standards in the area they are based is another call you could make.

At then end of the day, if they refuse to do anything, your only real prospect is court action for breach of contract.

Contacting check a trade may just be my next course of action..

I will also send out a written letter i.e. a final ultimatum

According to the 'which' website they state that you can hire another firm to correct the defects.. Following on from this, you would take the original company to a small claims court to pay all the charges incurred..

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you have a FENCA certificate issued?

Do they comply with current building regulations?

Sounds like court will be the only option with these rouge traders

I was not given a FENCA certificate.. I am guessing that I should have been?

I do not know if they comply with current building regulations. How can I verify whether this is the case?

It's actually a FENSA certificate. Unfortunately, without a name, further checks cannot be done however have a look here.

http://www.fensa.co.uk/

It is a good idea to get a competent company to come and assess the damage and provide a quote to rectify the faults. This will cost you and the original company could refuse to repay you if you haven't got their agreement to an independant assessment.

Make sure you have photographic evidence of all the faults and make them aware of this in your complaint.

If they still refuse to do anything, A Letter Before Action will be required, giving them (up to) 14 days to rectify or provide a suitable resolution (partial refund)

If they still do nothing, your only option is court.

Be aware that some rogue traders will dissolve one company and restart as another.

If no FENSA cert then your windows also need signing off under building regs and this will cost you as local council will enforce. By not naming you are doing yourself a disservice as I'm sure that others would be able to offer local knowledge about company..