Product competitions - cold calling

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently entered two free to enter competitions shown on food products and within a month i have started to receive marketing communications from other companies. I ticked the relevant boxes to say that i did not want to receive any marketing from them or any third party companies.

I don't normally enter such competitions which require online registration, for the reason of not wanting companies to sell my data. I thought stupidly that they had stopped doing this, given recent fines, but they are obviously still at it.

I might make up a name to catch the companies selling data against my stated wishes and report them. Trouble is when Archie Aardvark wins the competition for a trip to the Rio Olympics, i might find it difficult to claim the prize.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Based on the above, I would contact the promotors of the competitions and ask whether they have passed on your details. Have you asked the cold callers where they got your info from?

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Based on the above, I would contact the promotors of the competitions and ask whether they have passed on your details. Have you asked the cold callers where they got your info from?

I am seeing how it goes at the moment. But i will ask, if it continues. So far it is only a few communications and i am TPS listed not to receive marketing, so i don't receive as many as other people.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Record fine for nuisance calls firm

3 hours ago

A firm has been handed a record fine for nuisance calls after making more than six million automated calls in a solar panel marketing campaign.

Glasgow-based Home Energy & Lifestyle Management Ltd has been fined £200,000 by the Information Commissioner.

Complainants described being powerless against calls or finding that calls were filling up answer machines.

The company blamed another firm it hired to make calls and said it was appealing against the ruling.

BBC ...

Some people in the insurance industry obtain quotes from companies using made up details, but actual addresses, to check on competitors. They then get phone calls from people worried that their address is being used by someone. I once saw about 100 envelopes come back in the post marked not known at this address and when listening to phone calls they were made by a few people. It was some marketing company in the insurance industry doing it to gain information.