Renewing Mortgage Support / JSA to ESA for depression

MarkR44
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3165 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. My circumstances are this.

I have been suffering with depression for years and being out of work made things worse after losing my job and had to start signing on.

I was on JSA for a couple of years and whilst on that was initially receiving housing benefit? towards my mortgage (interest only) which was a massive help. I was actively seeking new work and applying etc but the bull**** work programmes drove me mad (literally) with the stupid tasks and courses designed for kindergarden. I ended up turning to alcohol and this obviously made my depression worse.

I then signed off over the phone and DWP said that I could move onto ESA (I cant remember what I needed). I declined as I just wanted to get off the phone and felt such a huge relief that I didnt need to worry about being harrassed by A4E and then have been living off my credit cards for the past few months.

In short, I am now massively in debt, still out of work, still depressed and up s**t creek without a paddle.

Where can I go from here? I need financial support. Im aware I need to get further help for my depression but whilst I have the added worry of being close to getting into a position I am going to lose my home, I need to get this sorted first.

What are my options? Obviously I can sign on to JSA and go back to A4E but this has to be the last resort. I am /never/ going to get better while I have to endure that belittlement on a daily basis. Now I'm sure I can register for ESA - but how do I do this. Do I need to goto my doctors first for a sick note or do you register first then prove it later? Because I was on JSA, can I just ring them and ask them to put me on ESA without having to apply for anything or has it been too long now?

I cannot emphasise enough that I really struggle with 'people' and waiting. Filling in application forms is fine, but going to interviews and doctors is something I dread and sends my anxiety sky high.

And last but not least, my mortgage support stopped last time (from memory you could only have it for 12? months). How long do you need to be off benefits before going back before they will give you the mortgage support again and can this be got on ESA or is that JSA only?

Thanks in advance. Mark

How long is it since you claimed JSA? This will determine if there will be any waiting period to receive help with housing costs.

I do not have the paperwork to hand, but if I recall it was about February of this year. How long is necessary?

You can claim income based ESA and be immediately eligible for mortgage interest support (though processing the claim for support may take quite a while - make sure you request the form when you make your claim).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

There a 13 week waiting period for this and that will be going up to 39 weeks next year

Sorry do you mean after you are kicked off the mortgage support you need to wait 13 weeks before reapplying (or 39 next year), or that it takes 13 weeks before they pay it from application (obviously if accepted)?

Sorry do you mean after you are kicked off the mortgage support you need to wait 13 weeks before reapplying (or 39 next year), or that it takes 13 weeks before they pay it from application (obviously if accepted)?

Yes, as you have a more than 12 week break in claim, you will need to serve the waiting period - had you gone straight on to income based esa, there would have been no waiting period, and no limit to time you could claim (unlike with jsa).

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452922-JSA-and-ESA-waiting-days

Make sure submit your new claim before 27th October as the waiting days will be increased after that date.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

my understanding is now if on income based JSA they give mortgage support only for and upto 2 years but this not the case on ESA (income based) though i not sure some one else can correct me you get mortgage support on ESA after the 13 week but in practice can be longer assessment rate is over? and then get mortgage support as long as your deemed unfit for work

On ESA (income based only) you are eligible for mortgage support after 13 weeks regardless of assessment rate or group you are placed in. In practice the MI support claim can take longer than 13 weeks depending on backlog and on how soon you get the MI support form in. Yes, you will only be eligible while deemed unfit for work - though you should still receive it during an appeal if receiving esa, though not while undergoing mandatory reconsideration (though a switch to JSA for that period will mean MI help should continue.

ok ty cos im on ESA (income based) but in my case its going to appeal so currently stopped but should restart once my appeal is lodged and send sick note thing is I assume I have to apply for it? the DWP don't let me know im eligible to it? cos like the OP I was on JSA (income based) MI support it stopped after 2 years then switched to ESA later but unlike JSA they didn't let me know when on ESA ie after 13 weeks that I was eligible? so in short I got to get the MI form and where do I get it? and send It where? once im signed back onto ESA pre tribunal and /or do I just call ESA number and let them know or query it? thanks