British Gas debt now passed to Pastdue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

When I moved my mentally disabled son into his flat in 2008, I contacted all utilities to register him. Eon took on the electric but said no gas was registered there. I knew gas was supplied to the flat as there was a boiler. Eon gave me a Gas number to ring saying that held all records of properties listed as being supplied with gas. I rang them and they confirmed they had no gas registered at that address.

Moving on to 2013, the gas board heavies turned up at my son's flat, threatening to break in if he didn't let them in and installed a pre-pay meter and made him sign something. He was so distressed and confused, as was I. The gas man said an error had been made and that his gas was registered at another number. He now owes around £1500.

He is on benefits and couldn't afford the gas so his flat got very mouldy and he recently moved out to live with his friend. He gave no forwarding address but Pastdue have just sent him a letter saying British Gas have past the debt onto them and now he needs to pay. We don't know how they got his new address but that's beside the point.

The point is, I don't know what to do to help him. He is registered as mentally disabled and lives on benefits. I have taken this on because he can't cope with things like this.

Do we contact Pastdue and offer £1 a month or something or do we contact British Gas and dispute the bill?

Hoping someone in the know will be able to help. Thanks in advance

I had this issue with British Gas and they are not not that bad.

Past due will only be collecting on behalf of British Gas, ignore them and deal with the organ grinder, not the monkey

Phone 0800 107 1457

That is the British Gas helpline. Tell them your son is mentally disabled and on benefits. Ask them to call back this debt from pastdue and that you need to set up a repayment arrangement with them as he is mentally disabled..

Like i said, i have been through this myself. You ask for their account number and sort code. The reference number will be his British Gas acount number and set up a standing order. I pay back British Gas £1.00 a week.

It is all done over the phone and you never have to gve them any bank details, remember standing order, not Direct debit.

You then send a letter requesting a full investigation into how this has happened and to quantify any loss British Gas has sustained to the penny.

Get your son to sign it

Only agree to payback what he can afford being on benefits. £1.00 a week is more than reasonable at the moment

Edited by obiter dictum

Does your son actually owe this money if a error has been made?

A gas bill of that amount would take me around 4 years of usage!

I would send a subject access request and get all the data

Rather than pay them some pitterfull amount

Get everything in order if mistakes have been made

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Remember the back billing code only allows the utility company to charge back for the last 12 months, when no bill is issued.

Suggest a written complaint to British Gas and if necessary referral to the energy ombudsman. Given the situation, it might be possible to achieve a write off.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

aha - the backbilling is interesting. thank you.

I called British Gas today and made a formal complaint about the way this was all handled. They said they couldn't recall the debt from Pastdue as my son is not registered at any property now BUT, the guy I spoke to was very apologetic and reported it to his manager when I was on hold - he is also sending me an application to some British Gas trust which will he said, in certain circumstances will pay some if not all of the debt (and he said our situation seemed likely to be successful in the application)

The backbilling tool will come in very handy if we get no success from the Trust.

Thank you for your input everyone. i really appreciate it :)

They can recall the debt, they did it with me and i am not registered at a property with a gas supply

You simply state you wish to set up a repayment plan and ask to be connected to credit control

When you phone British Gas do you honestly believe that is British Gas you are talking to??

Chances are it is an outsourced call centre staffed by students

aha - the backbilling is interesting. thank you.

I called British Gas today and made a formal complaint about the way this was all handled. They said they couldn't recall the debt from Pastdue as my son is not registered at any property now BUT, the guy I spoke to was very apologetic and reported it to his manager when I was on hold - he is also sending me an application to some British Gas trust which will he said, in certain circumstances will pay some if not all of the debt (and he said our situation seemed likely to be successful in the application)

The backbilling tool will come in very handy if we get no success from the Trust.

Thank you for your input everyone. i really appreciate it :)

You need to deal with British gas in writing

They will tell you anything on the phone!

Do you have all the statements?

If not a subject access request will be a good start

You do not know if this is the correct amount owing

Formal complaint in writing won't hurt either

Check credit file they would of trashed it

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)