TV Licence and the electoral roll??

obiter dictum
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After being in my new place for a month, the dreaded TV Licence falls through the door

When i moved into my new place, like a good little boy i registered on the voters roll. Yesterday they even sent me a letter saying that i have been included from the 1st September dated 28th August

Call me a cynic but do the local authority or the local housing authority inform TV Licence of any new additions to the register or new tenancy taken up??

This is some coincidence

After being in my new place for a month, the dreaded TV Licence falls through the door

When i moved into my new place, like a good little boy i registered on the voters roll. Yesterday they even sent me a letter saying that i have been included from the 1st September dated 28th August

Call me a cynic but do the local authority or the local housing authority inform TV Licence of any new additions to the register or new tenancy taken up??

This is some coincidence

If the TV licence letter was in your name then yes they must be informed via some data link.

I bought a TV in a store once and they typed in the house number wrong on their systems for the guarantee receipt. A week later TV licensing writes a letter in my name to my neighbour who lived down the road at that house number, asking why no licence at that address in my name. Big Brother world out there !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I do not believe that TVL and the Voters roll has any connection nor the data swapped between either,

unlike Royal Mail and their 'Mail forwarding' scheme, where creditors and DCA's have open access to it.

I've never had a TVL, and I only registered to vote last year, and to date, the TVL threat letters are still posted to someone called the legal occupier?

Are you saying that they addressed it to you personally?

If so then there may well be some merit in data sharing between them?

Although a quick search flagged this:

I can confirm under section 1(1) of the Act that the BBC does not use information provided by the Royal

Mail, the electoral register, DVLA, broadband telecommunications companies or utility companies to

determine the names of occupiers of properties that do not have a licence.

TV Licensing does use information provided by the Royal Mail, specifically the Postcode Address File (PAF)

(which is a product offered under licence on a commercial basis), to keep the TV Licensing database

accurate and up to date. However this information does not identify individuals living at an address.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/119318/response/296426/attach/html/3/RFI20120653%20Final%20response.pdf.html

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

We will inform organisations that you are no longer at your old address. We will also pass your application details and information regarding the status of your Redirection to organisations to prevent fraud and/or money laundering. By law, we have to pass on your Redirection details to the Department of Work and Pensions and Local Authorities, so they can update their records. We will also inform other licensed postal operators to enable them to deliver mail.

Well all you have to do is ignore their puerile threat letters, and if any clown knocks your door, you are under zero legal obligation to

talk to them, just stand there and stare, when they start sending you their letters addressed to ''The legal occupier'' you know you've won, file away

under ignore, or bin them.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

[...] the TVL threat letters are still posted to someone called the legal occupier?

I had one recently addressed to the same person. This letter was a little different in that it informed me that the free TV licence registered to *this address would expire next year... I've never applied for this "free" licence, nor do I qualify for one, so the next letter will be marked "Return to Sender, addressee not known".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

the next letter will be marked "Return to Sender, addressee not known".

Oh please, don't give the government (sorry!!) them (TVL) the satisfaction, just ignore it

I have quite a 'plethora' of their missives, each containing varying levels of empty threats

should I fail to fund their ridiculous little extortion racket, although there is another word beginning

with a "P", but I'll defo get cagbotted for that!

I hate TV licence simply because it is Capita

Capita have their fingers in so many pies, including Local authorities i refuse to furnish them with any personal information.

If they knock at my door it will be "Not today thank-you" and slam the door in his face

The BBC and the NHS have been turned into religion so you can no longer question them or what they do without being called a heretic.

Ha ha good! I've always been the black sheep of the family, and I'm not about to stop dissenting now... :madgrin: