style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

British Gas have not submitted me a bill for 17 months due to them saying my account moved elsewhere which it didnt and now its back with them. Under the back billing code of practise I believe they cannot charge me for anything over 12 months.

Ok - my account was closed Feb 2014 but they still collected my direct debit payments until Dec 2014 when they decided to send me a final bill closing my account at Feb 14 and I was in credit so they refunded me my credit balance.

So from March - July 14 they cannot charge me for the gas?

July 14 - to date I agree is chargeable.

Can anyone help me or tell me how they work out the back billing as the chap I am dealing at B Gas is only offering a credit of £ 2.50 for back billing when I have calculated the units to be over £200.

I feel he is calculating this incorrectly to their advantage.

Can anyone help - I have the Citizens Advice on the case and am now considering the Ombudsman

Thanks

British Gas have not submitted me a bill for 17 months due to them saying my account moved elsewhere which it didnt and now its back with them. Under the back billing code of practise I believe they cannot charge me for anything over 12 months.

Ok - my account was closed Feb 2014 but they still collected my direct debit payments until Dec 2014 when they decided to send me a final bill closing my account at Feb 14 and I was in credit so they refunded me my credit balance.

So from March - July 14 they cannot charge me for the gas?

July 14 - to date I agree is chargeable.

Can anyone help me or tell me how they work out the back billing as the chap I am dealing at B Gas is only offering a credit of £ 2.50 for back billing when I have calculated the units to be over £200.

I feel he is calculating this incorrectly to their advantage.

Can anyone help - I have the Citizens Advice on the case and am now considering the Ombudsman

Thanks

A bit of a grey area, so not clear. Odd that they thought you moved elsewhere. Did you do a comparison quote and could someone have contacted BG without you asking. A sales person putting through a change to gain a commission. You might want to ask how they believed you were changing supplier.

Why not write back asking how they applied the 12 month back billing code and to provide a full breakdown of their calculation.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hiya and thanks for your reply.

British Gas Business took the account in error and has taken 17 months to try and resolve.

I have asked how he has calculated it and its very confusing indeed, even for me whos an accountant !!!

It is up to them to explain properly. They are supposed to be the experts and should offer a full explanation with a breakdown calculation.

Hope you are not in a rush !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Believe me I am sooo frustrated. My final bill left me with a refund of over 500.00 which was refunded.

Now this guy is using the credit amount against costs....sooooo not right.....taking it up with the ombudsman and consumer advice !

If you are prepared to part with £10 and wait a little while, then consider sending British Gas a subject access request. It might help you work out how British Gas have let this situation happen in the first place.

If you do go down that option, there's nothing to stop you chasing up how your current bill has been calculated in the meantime.

Just to be clear, you were paying them by direct debit during this period, they refunded you after your got your "final bill" and now they want paying again for this period, but you don't agree with their figures because of the potential back-billing issue? So you believe you are owed a bigger credit than what they've worked out?

Any pearls of wisdom that I give on the CAG forums is based on previous experiences and knowledge I have gained from being on these forums.

Suppliers can off-set payments made against the back bill amount I'm afraid. Effectively, if they carried on taking payments or if there was a credit on the account at the beginning of the period being charged for, this will be used towards the charges; the billing code would then only apply to any shortfall in payments