Tesco bans Ribena from its shelves from September 2015 - Apparently Britain is not happy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3195 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On Monday, Tesco announced the sad news that Ribena, Capri-Sun and Rubicon will no longer grace their shelves.

The decision to remove the drinks was made in a bid to tackle childhood obesity, and will come into action after the kids have gone back to school on 7 September.

The move may have been welcomed by health campaigners, but naturally, the internet is outraged...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/28/tesco-ribena-ban-reaction_n_7885776.html

People have taken to twitter and other social media and it seems they are NOT happy

#SaveMyRibena I cant believe Tesco has fell for the #NannyState you can buy a mars bar or a bottle of vodka or cigarettes but not Ribena!

im just off out, trying to score some ribena!

So are tesco going to ban their own brand sweets and crisps now? Cause they're probably contributing more to childhood obesity than ribena..

:lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

2016 Tesco becomes a natural only ingredients health store like Holland and Barrett

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Where does this stop ? No biscuits ?

There is some research which shows healthier alternatives are actually worse. The French eat more fat and sugar, but are generally healthier, because they have a more balanced diet. They also spend more time eating their meals, so they digest it better and are less stressed.

During the last 10 years or so, schools have reduced time for PE. I think it was cut in half, so they only have to do 2 hours per week.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

During the last 10 years or so, schools have reduced time for PE. I think it was cut in half, so they only have to do 2 hours per week.

Because fat kids were feeling victimised and their fat parents complained probably!

(bit naughty post but honestly felt)

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres

They're not removing it from sale until early September - that would be after the lucrative summer holidays. Presumably they do their own brand version which will remain on sale. Who do they think they're kidding?

Only allow adults to buy it, just like cigarettes and booze ....

(go out and play, these are mine)

MMMM pass me a Vodka and Ribena

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

I cannot remember many fat kids when i was at school. To be fair, i don't see many going to school now who look overweight. Perhaps there is no big problem in this country. Australia has a worse obesity problem than the UK and they are supposed to all into outdoor sports. The problem in Australia is the amount of takeaway food available, which is much cheaper than UK. If you go to Sydney, you will see so many food outlets on every street. You can get a large Dominos pizza as part of a deal for about £5. They have more MacDonalds, Burger Kings etc than you will find in London.

Perhaps a personalised fat tax. You have to go to the Post Office to be weighed every year and if you are found overweight, HMRC get notified. 😈

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I cannot remember many fat kids when i was at school. To be fair, i don't see many going to school now who look overweight.

Neither did I - it was a rarity. I can recall only one in my class at secondry school, although there were a few physically larger kids who I did not and do not think of as overweight or obese.

There do seem to be a lot more young overweight kids in recent years, a LOT more than when I was young, but it does seem to me to become more of an issue with adults.

Having said that which was based on when my daughter was at school, I was stood in a city centre last week waiting for someone, and was astonished at the sheer volume (sic) of very large people waddling about, many of them with young children also very large. So it would seem my esimates of the issue need revising upwards - and it was already a significant issue in my mind before the revision.

Perhaps its far worse in Cities rather than Towns (where I live)?

Will we be seeing kids suing parents for abuse because of the childrens weight and related health issues?

Right or wrong, it's not up to others to tell us what we can and cannot eat. Educate is the way this should be, I'm getting really fed up with these forced decisions and some nobody telling us how to live our lives. The person who made this decision is probably fat and drinks and smokes.

My daughter can only have Ribena or high juice which is high in sugar and can't have any drink that has aspartame in it due to a medical condition called PKU

So now il have to do my shopping somewhere else

My daughter can only have Ribena or high juice which is high in sugar and can't have any drink that has aspartame in it due to a medical condition called PKU

So now il have to do my shopping somewhere else

Perhaps a letter to the Tesco Head Office advising this, it might be there are other children like you daughter who can only drink this product !

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would be more inclined to believe that Tesco is trying to tackle obesity if it were to remove all the crisps and sweets to perhaps a higher shelf - reduce the amount of choices in that type of product or even cease selling them altogether.

Get shot of all the quickie meals in their freezer / cold compartments, which have tons of sugar and fats in. Food is so heavily processed for this type of meal that they have to add all the chemicals, salt and stuff in order to a) give them taste and b) preserve the foodstuffs.

IMHO, you might just as well pour salt on soggy wet cardboard and eat that !!

Sell Ribena in bottles rather than those small cartons.

BCOBS

Perhaps a personalised fat tax. You have to go to the Post Office to be weighed every year and if you are found overweight, HMRC get notified.

Noooo.... They are the salvation for humanities future energy crisis. Tread mills and exercise bikes powering small generators that are in turn hooked up to the national grid. Once they are cream crackered, Andrei Molodkin can turn his attention on them. In between all of this, Ian Duncan Smith can have one of his epiphanies and persecute another section of the population.

If the likes of Tesco really wanted to promote healthy eating, moving sweets away from the checkouts and replacing fizzy drinks with fruit juice would be a step in the right direction.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

If the likes of Tesco really wanted to promote healthy eating, moving sweets away from the checkouts and replacing fizzy drinks with fruit juice would be a step in the right direction.

That'll be the day.

Apples, pears, porridge, cauliflower and broccoli at the prime selling points and checkouts.

Biscuits, chocolate, sweets and sugar drinks at the back on the top shelves next to playboy magazine just at the end of row 6 (err so I understand)

Targeting ribena seems bizarre - there are much more damaging sugar filled things out there. But the answer isn't to restrict access, but to give people viable, healthy, tasty alternatives and education as to why excess sugar is bad, and then let people make their choice.

I don't eat any sugar at all, but I don't force my choice on my husband who understands the impact of high sugar foods on the body, but has made the adult choice that he doesn't care, which is fine.

Parents are responsible for ensuring their kids eat well - education and information is the answer, not restricting products - and certainly not arbitrarily restricting a few items while having shelves full of high sugar items.

There is a film that was recently released 'That sugar film', in which the guy decides to eat Australia's average sugar intake (40 teaspoons a day)......but the rules were he couldn't change calorie intake and only ate so called 'health foods' such as low fat products or healthy eating ranges. It was really easy for him to reach that amount of sugar in just a normal day's calories of perceived 'healthy foods' (and his health got worse). The point I'm making is targeting a few bizarrely chosen items is pretty stupid, probably a publicity stunt or tactic related to their own range, and actually makes no difference to the real problem - sugar is everywhere, in all those 'healthy' food products that people love to feed their kids, and all sugary drinks could be removed from the stores, there would still be plenty of hidden sugar to make lots of fatty liver and metabolic syndrome.

If you want to eat healthier a good rule is.....just eat real food - if it's been concocted by a food scientist, just leave it alone.

If you want to get slimmer, cut down on carbs, eat good meats and fish, plenty of non starchy veg, healthy fats, nuts, seeds etc.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

The danger posed by aspartame far outweighs the problem sugary drinks cause, its a shame that the research into those is kept quiet. I will have normal drinks for my family over the diet ones any day of the week,its a real shame more people are not aware of the side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Absolutely agree Bakersboy! I notice that Tesco banned all their own normal drinks and they are all 'no added suagr' crap. I for one have argued that sugar is NOT bad for you. As a matter of fact when I was dieting I INCREASED my sugar content by increasing my alcohol intake and switching to vegetarian foods. As a result my waistline decresed from a huge 46 to just 32 in four years. Remember that most drinks are FAT FREE and there is nothing wrong with the added sugar. Don't forget that in a can of coke there is ten teaspoons of sugar not to mention the caffeine. Are they going to ban that next?

Personally I have found that sugar gives me the up and go feeling whereas fat slows me down and makes me feel sluggish and lethargic.

It may also interest you to know that I do have a drink problem, but by drinking more and eating less, this aids my diet as well despite all the rhetoric. Most alcoholic beverages except 'creams' are also fat free. I drink upto 40 pints a week BUT I DO NOT HAVE ANY SIGN OF A BEER BELLY! But of course we all listen to the rhetoric about alcohol adding to weight gain don't we? Just my 20p's worth :|

I noticed that Ribena have upped their advertising campaigns :)

BCOBS