PCN - Parking on a Bus Stop Contravention 47

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I wonder if someone can help/assist me please and advise if I should appeal against a PCN that I have received.

I have received a PCN stating I parked on a Bus Stop at 21:09 on a Saturday evening.

I have viewed the PCN video footage and what I did was that I did pull up onto an edge of Bus Stop markings but it was for 30 seconds. I waited there as someone in-front of me was pulling out of a parking space. The video footage shows that they were indicating to leave the parking space and I thought I could pull in there after they had left. This is shown clearly on the footage. They were not able to move out quickly enough as it was on the main road and they were parked facing the wrong way to the traffic.

The footage clearly shows that I pulled into the parking space once they had left.

I would appreciate any help or advice.

Thank you.

Edited by Jigsawbitmissing
Correction

I don't know much about these types of charges, but since no-one else has replied, you were stationary on the bus stop - therefore, they will define it as parking, so you can't realistically dispute the fact. All I think you can do is appeal with the type of explanation you gave here, and appeal to them for common sense/fair play. I don't see any other way you can challenge it.

I don't know much about these types of charges, but since no-one else has replied, you were stationary on the bus stop - therefore, they will define it as parking, so you can't realistically dispute the fact. All I think you can do is appeal with the type of explanation you gave here, and appeal to them for common sense/fair play. I don't see any other way you can challenge it.

Hello Jamberson,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I was thinking the same as you, I think a bit of fair play might not have gone amiss.

Giving me a half a minute to park up.

Thank you again

If the bus stop was marked with a wide solid yellow line then that indicates no stopping, rather than no waiting, so any time spent stationary would be an offence. Whether or not this is a fair ticket I wouldn't say but technically the offence has been committed. Do you have a streetview link or photos to show the signage etc? it may be that the bus stop clearway wasn't in operation at the time?

Hello HungryDoug,

Sorry I have just logged on here. I hope this is the right way to post street view on here? Ah, it won't let me post the Streetview link here as it is saying my post count is 8!

I was waiting on the bus stop for less than 30 seconds outside the Tesco Express on St James Street, Walthamstow, E17. Hopefully you can access Streetview, it is shown as 32 St James Street, as you might be able to see the car parked in the picture is facing the wrong way to the traffic, which was the case when I saw the car there indicate, hence I pulled up onto the bus stop for less than 30 seconds to wait for the car that was there to move off, unfortunately, he was not able to move off quickly enough.

I have just checked it, it is a Wide Solid Line with a Sign stating no stopping except buses! I guess I have learnt a lesson.

Edited by Jigsawbitmissing

Hi Jigsaw. Thanks for the directions, I found the location. It would seem that the marking and sign is correct so it would seem that the offense has been committed. But I can't see how you stopping for 30 seconds would have inconvenienced anyone (unless there was a bus trying to access the stop). So offence committed: yes, fair penalty: probably not. But such is the way of the world.

Thank you Doug. I do feel hard done by but as you say, such is life.

Hello Matt

I was definitely not parked, I don't know how to save the "contravention" video otherwise I would post it. It shows the car parked in the parking bay indicating to pull out, I appear on the bus stop, the indicating car tries to pull out, he waits until the traffic clears, he pulls out, I pull into the parking space. As I said, 30 seconds I must have been in the Bus Stop markings.

Had I parked up on the bus stop and wandered into Tesco's, I would hold my hands up and pay it.

I do think the CCTV operator was way too quick!

Hello Jamberson and Matt,

I pulled up onto the edge of the bus stop, I reversed to give the departing car more room to move out, I then pulled into the parking space. I was "stationary/stopped" for 10-15 seconds, I did not at any stage leave my car.

If I was asked did I stop/wait within the bus stop markings I would have to say, yes, I was.

Whether stopping means to get out or sit in the car to make a call, I would say no, I was waiting for the parking space to become available. That took about 30 seconds.

I guess Waltham Forest would say I had technically stopped, reversing to give more room to the other car then moving off the bus stand.

I wrote to Waltham Forest on Friday apologising for the infringement and asking them to use their discretion in waiving the penalty.

• 2 weeks later...