Some advice regarding someone hitting my car and driving off. **Resolved**

Rlp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My car was hit by another driver today before and they proceeded to drive away, my neighbour heard the collision and luckily got the car registration and make and model.

The damage to my car is only probably a few hundred pounds.

I have called the police and I have an appointment with them tomorrow.

What is the best way to proceed with this? I feel I have two options, go through my insurance and pay my excess (£250) and lose my my ncb.

I can't help but feel a little bit hard done to here, I was hit by a possible uninsured driver and may possibly have to pay for the same as well as us all paying extra in our premiums.

Any advice? Any chance the askmib site is incorrect?

If I do pay for this out if my own pocket I will try and have the police take it as far as possible.

Edited by Rlp

You never know - the MID may be out of date, but most likely, as you suggest this may have been caused by an uninsured driver.

Let the police do their bit - that is of course assuming that the RK details are up to date. You need to give the details to your insurer as well though, as if the TPV has been recently insured they can start the ball rolling. You should be able to discuss with them whether it might be cheaper just to fork out for the repairs yourself rather than lose NCD with a claim should it turn out to be an unrecoverable loss.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

You never know - the MID may be out of date, but most likely, as you suggest this may have been caused by an uninsured driver.

Let the police do their bit - that is of course assuming that the RK details are up to date. You need to give the details to your insurer as well though, as if the TPV has been recently insured they can start the ball rolling. You should be able to discuss with them whether it might be cheaper just to fork out for the repairs yourself rather than lose NCD with a claim should it turn out to be an unrecoverable loss.

Thanks for the reply, I have an appointment with the police tomorrow morning at 8am, would it be okay to contact my insurance then? I just don't want my costs to go up! my policy on renewed on the 29th and I've only held my license 20 months.

Aren't you able to make a claim from the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau, not the Men in Black) in cases like this? It's basically like claiming from the other parties insurance, and then once they pay out they'll go after the uninsured driver for the money?

Aren't you able to make a claim from the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau, not the Men in Black) in cases like this? It's basically like claiming from the other parties insurance, and then once they pay out they'll go after the uninsured driver for the money?

Thanks for your post.

you can indeed apply to MIB but as far as I'm aware (only done minimal research) the first £300 from any claim is deducted or kept by MID, the damage to my car is at most £200 so I don't think it's a route I should go down.

I have spoken to the police today and they are going to investigate it, they have taken a statement from me and will speak to my witness.

He couldn't tell me if they were insured or not though.

Should I inform my insurance? If they have insurance and I claim on there's will my premiums increase? I guess I don't lose my NCB as is wasn't my fault? If I notify my insurance company and the other driver isn't insured and choose to bear the cost and repair my car will it go up?

Thanks for the posts so far everyone.

If it turns out the other driver isn't insured I will pay for the damage myself and try and claim the money back through the courts if I can.

I want the person to be held responsible for both the crime and breaking the law.

Be careful about admitting to the cops that you found out information on the MiB Website. The T&C you ticked to get the information make what you did an offence.

Data Protection Declaration and Vehicle Ownership Statement

I am entitled to the insurance information about the vehicle detailed above for one or more of the following reasons: It is either registered/ owned/ insured by me or my employer; I am permitted to drive it; I am an Insurance Broker or agent and acting on behalf of my client.

I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without any of the above reasonable causes. If I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring this information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data protection Act 1998. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry.

I confirm that: I have read and understood the data protection declaration, one of the options stated above applies to me and I agree to the terms of use as stated on this website.

Good Luck with the Cops.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

You should report to your Insurers anyway per your insurance terms and just say that the damage noticed so far may not be more than the policy excess. BUT do get the car inspected by a garage and a written estimate done. There may be more damage than you can see and this may determine how you proceed. You may have to use your fully comp policy, if the repair exceeds the excess.

In the event that the Police do find out who drove the other car, if it was not insured you can look into getting a refund of your excess from that driver via the court if they are prosecuted. This use to be called a restitution order. But if the other driver has little money, you could waiting along time before you gain full payment.

It is a case of reporting to Police and your Insurers, then waiting to see what happens. But do get a garage to check and quote, so you know what the score is.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 3 weeks later...

I am reporting back to let everyone know the police gave me the drivers details and luckily they are insured, my car has been fixed at no expense to myself :)

Thanks for the advice.