Bank Holiday Transfer Delays

Smegnoguk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have a Barclays account from which we transfer (by direct debit) £80 every Friday into a Barclays cash account (in the same branch) used by a dependant relative. For some reason, the money leaves the account every Friday, appears in the cash account the same day but cannot be accessed until the next day (Saturday). This weekend, the transation was actioned on the Friday as usual (14th) but dated the 18th (Monday) but the money cannot be drawn from the cash account until tomorrow. This has caused the dependant relative considerable hardship over the weekend because she has no money. I have spoken to Nationwide about this and they say that transactions on their accounts go ahead regardless of whether it is a bank holiday weekend. Is this another Barclays [problem] to sit on money and earn interest?

Interestingly the opposite happens in my NafWest business account. My employer makes my salary BACs payment on the 14th of each month, which this year was of course, a bank holiday and so technically shouldn't be "in" my account until Tuesday 18th, however it was available to spend on the Friday. This happens with all weekend "deposits" How totally weird and unusual (for banks) is that?

Interestingly the opposite happens in my NafWest business account. My employer makes my salary BACs payment on the 14th of each month, which this year was of course, a bank holiday and so technically shouldn't be "in" my account until Tuesday 18th, however it was available to spend on the Friday. This happens with all weekend "deposits" How totally weird and unusual (for banks) is that?

I don't think that's down to the bank - certainly in my experience, when a paydate falls on a weekend or Bank Holiday, every employer I've worked for (that's paid me by direct credit) has had the salary paid into my account on the last working day before the weekend/BH

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

No believe me, my employer would pay at the last date possible, they are contractually obliged to "pay" it by 14th of month but that obligation doesn't extend to it being in my account! I have checked with my colleagues who are not with NafWest and they usually have to wait until the weekend is over where I don't.

No believe me, my employer would pay at the last date possible, they are contractually obliged to "pay" it by 14th of month but that obligation doesn't extend to it being in my account! I have checked with my colleagues who are not with NafWest and they usually have to wait until the weekend is over where I don't.

How strange indeed then :confused:

I gotta say that the salary being cleared in my account the last working day before the BH/weekend has not only been with every employer, but also across every bank I've used.

One good thing (perhaps the *only* good thing - LOL) about A&L is that if my payday falls on a Monday, the salary's usually showing on my available balance & cleared for withdrawal by the Saturday evening!

Cheers

Michael

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law.

Please see the following copyright statement

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks