From ESA to work but need P45

pepper79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. I was claiming ESA from April last year until a week or so ago and have now got a new job and I start the training on Tuesday. I need a P45 but how and where do I get one from? I don't have one from a previous employer as I was a carer for my Grandmother but dont see how I can have what I need by Tuesday, especially as its bank holiday. What do I do? I didnt know I needed this until I came back from the induction today and everywhere was closed. Thanks in advance!

the DWP will send you one out

if you dont have one on time, simply complete a P46 from your payroll dept until you receive your P45

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

It will take the DWP a little while to send you a P45, it should be no more than a week or two rather than months. In the meantime, as id6052 suggests, fill out a P46 and keep an eye on how much income tax you pay. For the first week or two, you may be on an emergency code and could be paying tax at the basic rate on all your earnings. Once the P45 is handed over to your new employer, any overpayment that you have made of tax should be sorted out by the time the next payslip is processed.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Without a P45, your employer would need to complete a starter checklist with you (which replaced the P46).

Based on what you have said, you would select statement b -

This is their only job, but since 6 April 2015 they’ve had another job, or have received taxable Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Incapacity Benefit. They don’t receive a State Pension or workplace pension

They would then put you on tax code 1060L W1/M1.

When you then get the P45, give it to your employer.

My daughter had her P45 through about a week after closing her esa claim on the phone. I have to say they were quick with it. She got several letters and some she didnt understand why or what for lol but a quick call to them sorted it all out, the call centre if thats what it is seems good where we ring from here.

Good Luck with your job and congratulations.....

thanks blondebubbles

i did not realise they had scrapped the P46

the starter checklist cn be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374305/starterchecklist.pdf

if you can't open, try changing browsers, as it did not open for me in google chrome, but did open in internet explorer

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

thanks blondebubbles

i did not realise they had scrapped the P46

the starter checklist cn be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/374305/starterchecklist.pdf

if you can't open, try changing browsers, as it did not open for me in google chrome, but did open in internet explorer

No problem, it is essentially the same thing anyway. Many employers still use the P46 because that's what they know.