How dangerous are treadmills? - 24,000 people injured in USA l;ast year!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It will surprise no-one familiar with the relentless whir of a treadmill to learn they were once used to a punish inmates in 19th century British workhouses.

Now, of course, no self-respecting gym is without one. They are comfortably the best-selling piece of gym equipment in the US.

They appeal to everyone from amateurs to Olympians, if nothing else, because it may seem a far more comfortable option than pounding the streets in the depth of winter.

But how safe are they?

The question has been raised by the sudden death of Silicon Valley entrepreneur, Dave Goldberg, who was found lying next to a machine at a Mexican resort.

http://m.bbc.com/news/health-32594556

Firstly you have to question if they are being used correctly, is the speed set too high for the user to handle! It is user set so any problems must first point towards the user.

Are they reducing the speed when they have finished or just stopping the machine or jumping off while still in motion.

Are they more unsafe than pounding the streets, probably not especially with the state of our pavements.

I don't think they are any more unsafe than any other form of fitness equipment, so don't worry BF, keep treading and live a hundred years :)

Edited by Conniff

ours has an emergency stop cord, if you go too far back it pulls out and stops

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek: