style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a self contained basement flat in a building of three flats. My flat has its own seperate front and rear doors, completely seperate and unconnected with the two upper flats and both opening onto the street.

My flat is completely unconnected to the top two.

The two upper flats share a common front door, hallway and stairs to their respective flats.

These upper two flats are let out by the owners as holiday apartments.

I have no access to the common areas of these flats and do not share any services with them, however this year the owners of these flats decided to put new carpet on their stairs and have complete new decoration and a new lighting system within their common area.

Is it right that they can use the portion of my service charge to refurbish this area, common to them only, and with no related benefit to me, and in an area non accessible to me.

I would be very pleased for some guidance in this matter

Is there anything in your tenancy agreement that states you will be asked to contribute to these communal areas ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If there is a service charge then it is to cover such things. If you pay into a sinking fund to pay for buildings maintenance then I would be up in arms about the misuse of the money. You need to have a good read of the lease and also ask the solicitor who did your conveyancing for you to explain why they didnt draw this to your notice.

If you are renting then basically you are stuffed by agreeing to paying a service charge when one isnt applicable. If this is the case get someone to look at the tenancy agreement to see if it is being adhered to properly.

Look at your lease, it may be that it requires you to contribute to communal areas even if you don't use them, a common scenario is that owners of ground floor flats have to pay for lifts that they never use..it will all be in the lease.

You say the owners of the flat put in new carpet, by owner you mean the freeholder ?. This maybe allowable, a FH may have obligations under the lease to repair, etc..but generally he cant improve and expect leaseholders to pay.