style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3304 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi my mum received two letters of enforcement from marstons totalling £1270 in my name

and i've found out that they are from an unpaid court fine and train ticket where the fines totalled £70,

i moved address but left fowarding address but have only just got notice of letters being sent wihch says they will be here in a couple of days.

i've been out of work and dont stay at my parents often but its only stable address so its where my post goes,

i can afford to pay original fines but not £1270

i've dealt with them before and they wasnt that bad the first time

but to add £1100+ to my fines is out of order

any ideas on what i should do

as my mum is really ill and dont want them going round to her house abusing her for money or threatening her

maybe you can provide them with an alternative address so that they will not have to call to your mothers?

Adding £1,100.00 to a £70 fine seems excessive!

I am sorry I can't help in this, but I do know there are experts here who will provide you with the best advice, you'll probably have some replies in the daytime.

Maybe in the meantime you can detail what the £1,100.00 charges are for since that may help others to advise you further.

You have not stated whether or not you received the summonses and if so, whether or not you responded (to plead guilty or not guilty) and whether you completed and returned the attached Means Enquiry Form. If you failed to send back BOTH forms then the court have to use the sentencing guidelines as laid down by the Sentencing Council.

If you had completed the 'plea form' to indicate 'guilty' then the court would still have to use the sentencing guidelines but in so doing, would be able to REDUCE the AMOUNT of fine by one third as defendants are given 'credit' for an early guilty plea.

Secondly, once the court set the actual AMOUNT of the fine they will then use the information provided on the Means Enquiry Form to determine HOW the debt is to paid. If the information on the Means Enquiry Form indicates that you were out of work then the court would either apply for the fine and costs to be paid by an attachment against your earnings or alternatively, payment would be set at £5 per week.

Given that these fines are for not paying a train ticket I can ASSURE you that the initial fine would NOT have been just £70. I am assuming that the reference to £70 was the amount of the train tickets.