DVLA: Abolition of paper counterpart. Consequences for Hiring a vehicle at home or abroad

stephenXL
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have booked my summer holidays in Spain, also made a reservation to hire a car for the duration.

Just discovered that as of 8th June 2015 the DVLA are scrapping the paper counterpart of the UK drivers licence. This will have an enormous impact on everyone who wants to hire a car either at home or abroad. ............This is the first I have heard of this:

Check it out;

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

If this goes ahead...............you will have to get all this information before hiring any vehicle.

Any Thoughts?

Advice & opinions of stephenXL are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgement. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

Most hire companies already have the ability to check licences on line or by phone, so it won't make any difference to them, and the rest will have the ability when the counterpart is abolished.

Most hire companies are, according to an article in todays Guardian, completely unaware of these changes, particularly those abroad.

Advice & opinions of stephenXL are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgement. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts

There are two things you can do

1. Keep hold of the paper counterpart - since these will no longer be issued after 8 June, if you change address the you will no longer have one anyway.

2. Take a printout of the information from the website with you - remember that when you print a web page the page is usually date stamped so presumably you should do this just before departing on holiday

Presumably other countries don't have problems with driver records when hiring cars!

No other eu countries apart from uk issues counterparts, so the hire companies don't even know that they exist.

My best friend travels abroad every month and rents cars.

He's right next to me and he hasn't seen his counterpart in 10 years.

You don't need it, all information required are on the plastic license

You don't need it, all information required are on the plastic license

Not exactly correct. Details of endorsements for example are not on the plastic licence, some hire companies (in the UK or overseas) might quite like to know that the potential hirer is a habitual speeder, or that they've been done for drink driving etc.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.