David Lloyd Cancellation Nightmare!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been reading some horror stories regarding David Lloyd cancellations and I desperately need some advice.

At the end of February I got a massive hike in my housekeeping which I pay my step-dad.

This made the £59pm membership with David Lloyd impossible to pay.

This came into effect from the beginning of March and I needed to cancel my contract.

The issue is I signed the contract back in October to commence in 2015 on an early start type thing. 2 months free if I recall.

I read there are OFT rules saying you can terminate a gym contract if it isn't affordable anymore and they have to let you go.

I was given a letter by my step-dad explaining the new housekeeping amount.

I called and spoke to someone in membership at my club and they said if I bring the letter in

I would be able to cancel under a "change in circumstances".

I took the letter in and was made to feel like a liar - with her implying anyone could have written it and it was bogus.

Obviously I strongly protested and I was told she would pass it on to the manager.

Generally they need a "legal document" she tells me.

I then get a phone call from her male colleague explaining the situation

and that I am unable to cancel as it's not deemed "suitable" for them.

I then spoke with the manager who explained they need something "letter headed" or "legal".

I explained I am unable to provide anything but the letter I already have

and that my step-dad does not have letter headed paper... why would he?!

He went on to say it's not satisfactory to them and that I need to take in my personal bank statements.

I said I would consider it due to fact it is a full overview of my finances which I don't feel comfortable sharing.

I later emailed the local membership email to explain that I decline to show them all of my banking statements as it's personal.

I went on to quote their contract saying that under exceptional circumstances they need something "satisfactory"

the exact details of what is satisfactory are not defined anywhere on the contract.

I said I have provided the only evidence I have available to me to prove the DRASTIC change in circumstances

and that the term "satisfactory" is just designed so they can continually change the goal posts on me.

I said if I don't hear back within 7 days then I will assume the matter is appeased.

Someone in the department assured me I would be contacted.

This email was on the 19th of March.

Not hearing anything - I assume they've understood the awkwardness of the situation and shown some sort of compassion.

WRONG!!!!

I get a call on Friday 10th from ARC Europe saying I owe them £79 for unpaid membership.

I assured the person on the phone that he is wrong and to check his facts with David Lloyd

as my understanding is that it is a resolved matter.

He asked who I spoke to and said the account will be suspended.

I called David Lloyd that same evening to demand to speak to someone in membership

to see if the matter was still ongoing and

was assured I would be called this Saturday just gone.

That never happened.

I called them this evening asking to be contacted as a matter of urgency and I'm assured a phone call tomorrow - which I doubt I will receive.

Please please please can someone advise me what to do as this is stressing me out quite considerably and I'm panicking.

Thanks in advance.

Ignore ARC... I do quite often. They are powerless on these.

They dont appear on your CRA etc.

If you are getting pestering calls from ARC, drop them a lovely letter telling them to stop from the Library here on CAG.

Youve done your bit. Youve attempted to settle the matter amicably.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They just phone everyday to try and grind you down. Must be their business model. I've got true call app on my phone I just block them. They'll run out of numbers or get bored before they get a penny out of me. You'll get a joke solicitors letter too in the next week or two. Valuable lesson though I didn't give my correct phone number to my new gym.

Hi Pitta and welcome to CAG

Next time ARC call you, answer and tell them you are logging every call they make for a formal complaint to Trading Standards. Also, that you require all contact to be made in writing only.

Keep us informed of developments. It may not be wise to simply ignore DL and/or ARC, especially when you need to negotiate with DL about their normal requirement for 3 months fees when cancelling.

My view is that DL's 3 month requirement is unfair, particularly when you are pleading poverty.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Also, please read our customer services guide. Follow the advice very strictly.

This is very important I'm sure that you will appreciate that if you had read and followed the guide already, that you would have already acquired some very useful evidence.

• 4 months later...

David Lloyd - DONT JOIN - Their contract is unfair as it is solely in their favour, their 3 month contract termination is unfair and unjust. Reputable companies work on a one month termination period, this is a method by which they extort an additional fee approx £250 from the member. DO NOT SIGN OR JOIN. Only when people reject this will they stop ripping people off.