Virgin Active/ARC Europe Ltd/Major Law Solicitors=court actions?

kazhiun
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I joined Virgin Active gym few months back, and after 2 months of joining I left because I ended up not going because of loss of interest and the price, so I cancelled the DD (the contract was for 6 months), and like a week later I received a letter from them demanding the money, and they sent me a few text messages too.

After a few more weeks I received a letter from ARC demanding me to pay £210, they keep calling me constantly, sometimes like 10 calls; one after the other, which I ignored.

After couple more weeks ARC sent another letter threatening court actions if the outstanding balance was not paid.

2 weeks later (today) I received a letter from Major Law solicitors threatening court actions as well, they have said I should contact ARC to repaid the debt.

I have have had no contact with Virgin, Arc or Major sols yet, meaning I haven't spoken to them.

Can they actual take me to court?

I don't really care about credit ratings.

I am 20, living with my parents, can they get the bailiffs involved?

Thanks very much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I joined Virgin Active gym few months back, and after 2 months of joining I left because I ended up not going because of loss of interest and the price, so I cancelled the DD (the contract was for 6 months), and like a week later I received a letter from them demanding the money, and they sent me a few text messages too.

After a few more weeks I received a letter from ARC demanding me to pay £210, they keep calling me constantly, sometimes like 10 calls; one after the other, which I ignored.

After couple more weeks ARC sent another letter threatening court actions if the outstanding balance was not paid.

2 weeks later (today) I received a letter from Major Law solicitors threatening court actions as well, they have said I should contact ARC to repaid the debt.

I have have had no contact with Virgin, Arc or Major sols yet, meaning I haven't spoken to them.

Can they actual take me to court? - they could eventually

I don't really care about credit ratings.- I would be but these 'debts' don't show AFAIK

I am 20, living with my parents, can they get the bailiffs involved? - only if you lose in court

a dca / doorsteppers are NOT BAILIFFS

Thanks very much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

did you inform the gym in writing your were going to cancel?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ok well read a few threads here to get the idea

but you need to p'haps find out the best way to go

typically I believe that's offer 1 mts payment direct to virgin

if they don't accept tough!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Kazhuim and welcome to CAG

As DX says, you need to read other threads here to see how others are dealing with their gym problems.

Unless you were injured, sick, made redundant or relocated, you had no grounds to cancel before the initial 6 months was up. You made an agreement and you are bound by it for the initial 6 months unless there's an appropriate reason for cancelling.

The good news is that you are only obliged to pay the monthly m/ship fees and you should not agree to pay any admin charges that they've added.

Your best bet is to offer to pay them the remaining monthly fees but ONLY if they agree to waive their Admin Fees, which we maintain are unlawful and unenforceable penalty charges.

Have a read around and let us know what you want to do.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Clearly you both are very knowledgeable about the topic, lol, from looking around the forum.

So can you tell me what's the worst they can do?

Even if they do take me to court, and they win the case, and I'll still won't pay the money.

Worst for me is the bailiffs lol

wave their willy at you.

that's what most DCA's do.

they are just scary letters sent out to try and fleece people.

there is as you've seen a court case currently running [well sort of]

but not your lot.

dx

just remember

they nor any DCA or their fake/tame sols are BAILIFFS

the are NOT

and have no legal powers whatsoever.

and they

If they took court action (highly unlikely), you can defend on the issue of admin charges being unlawful penalties.

Whatever the CCJ amount, you could pay it in full within 30 days of the judgement and the CCJ is removed from the register. In other words, you'd avoid having a CCJ against you which would severely affect your credit rating for the next 6 years.

It would make no sense to me to let the case go to court and then NOT pay. Bailiifs fees would be added making the debt far bigger.

I'd offer to pay the remaining fees, but only when they agree to waive all admin fees. You'll find suitable draft letters on other threads.

Write your draft and put it here for checking.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)