How Money Spent - Appointment

STS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3343 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been claiming JSA since September, but I have yet to receive any payments due to various reasons that DWP have been making up along the way. Let's not get into that now though.

I received a phone call from them this morning. They want me to provide them with a full disclosure of everything that I have spent money on in the last six months so that they can see how my money is spent.

Do I need to provide them with this information?

Not heard of this before, will try and find someone to help.

Did you have money which they are claiming you have tried to dispose of to below a certain level ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Usually you have a renewal/claim in for benefits, you may get thru part A then be forwarded to part B, this where if they know you have money within a set period then they want to know where it is or where it has gone, I found that out after selling a house and buying another property, a lot of money made from sale went in paying back money owed, paying off mortgage, fitting a new Bathroom & kitchen etc etc in new property as areas were old/broken down, hence they wanted to know where every penny went in the end I told them to forget it as I am not going to find invoices for every 10 pence they ask for, for a princely sum of maybe £10/15 per week

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I walked away, disgusted they were treating me as if I was trying to defraud them, end of claim I told them but I was just highlighting the way they operated, they wanted evidence of EVERY penny spent!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I received a phone call from them this morning. They want me to provide them with a full disclosure of everything that I have spent money on in the last six months so that they can see how my money is spent.

:nono: Note it was a verbal request and not written......you are not at liberty to respond to that

here you go :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I have agreed to the appointment though. So I guess I attend then tell them that if they want a full list of everything I have spent money on, they will have to put it in writing?

My (in my case) response to "let's see how your money is spent" would be "get stuffed" but that is just me. If you qualify for JSA how you spend it is nothing to do with them otherwise they would question every time you bought a bag of chips - what a way to treat people.

My second response would be "What exactly do I need to justify to you as I qualify legally for this benefit and trying to get by on this paltry amount is hard enough without being questioned but as you have asked I now but a multipack of 6 tins of beans instead of 4 as it works out cheaper and I also get supermarlet own brand instead of Heinz"

I would also get in "I also spent £1.20 last week on a bus fare to visit my Mother, as long as that is OK with you and it does not effect me looking for fake jobs on UJM"

I do realise I have been sarcastic here but my point stands - my response would be "get stuffed" In a nice way of course.

Noone seems to have asked you this question.

Are you applying for Contribution based JSA or Income Based JSA

If it is the latter then they are investigating the possibility that you have disposed of assesable income prior to making your claim for the reason of being able to claim an income related benefit.

If it is the former, tell them to get shredded

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

They are looking at something called 'deprivation of capital', where they investigate if a person has spent capital in order to qualify for benefit or more benefit.

If deprivation is found, benefit is reduced by £1 for every £250 of capital that they think you should still have.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

As I understand it, having savings of £6,000 or above, is the point at which your collective-benefits start being tapered-down towards zero by the DWP. As stated by estellyn, your benefit is reduced by £1 for every £250 (or part thereof) above this amount. If you have savings exceeding £16,000, any benefit claim would be rejected. This is the point at which you would be expected to live off your own savings.

If you have made any major-spends over the past year, I can only think that would be what the DWP are fishing for here. Beyond the necessities of life - food, bills, transport etc, I find that I spend money on very minor items on an "as and when" basis. Since these items generally cost less than a tenner, I don't keep trivial details on every last penny. If the DWP press you to provide this level of detail, tell them they're being unreasonable.

Yes, I agree with Squirrely Whirley here. They may well wish to check up on major expenditures to determine whether or not deprivation of capital might be an issue, and they are quite within the law to do this. However, they should not be expecting you to explain every single £5 or £10 expenditure for the last year. It's not reasonable to expect you to be able to state whether that £6.99 spent at Aldi in October 2014 was toothpaste, cans of beans or whatever.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.