Car HIT By Drunken Driver in Car Park

UK26
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3353 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

today someone hit my BMW causing damage to it. (parked in a car park)

I tried to prevent the driver from leaving the car park but he started to turn nasty.

Anyway, i called the police and he was then stopped about 15 minutes later :lol:

However....

He was then arrested for

1. Failing to Stop at RTA
  2. Driving when over the drink drive limit
  3. Public Order Offence.

The police advised me that his insurance will be void as he was over the drink driving limit and his insurance company may try and refuse to pay for the damage.

Is this true? its out of order if it is and affect my insurance.

Hope So, as its around £2k worth of damage... Police are not allowed to give me his details as he was arrested for two offenses

I might be wrong, but i read somewhere that they still have to pay for the damage to your car, they just wont pay for his to be repaird

Correct

There is a a not very well known section of the data protection act you might want to explore.

Section 35

Disclosures required by law or made in connection with legal proceedings etc.

(1)Personal data are exempt from the non-disclosure provisions where the disclosure is required by or under any enactment, by any rule of law or by the order of a court.

(2)Personal data are exempt from the non-disclosure provisions where the disclosure is necessary—

(a)for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), or

(b)for the purpose of obtaining legal advice,

or is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights.

references

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/35

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The insurer will pay for yours and anyone else's claim, but will refuse any claim he makes for his own car.

The insurer will then go after him to reimburse them for the value of any claims made against him.

The problem op has is op does not have the drivers details to pass onto the insurer as the police will not release the info to the op.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Doesn't the OP have the registration no. ?

And isn't failure to provide insurance details after an accident an offence in itself ? If it is, the police should make sure he complies. If not, the OP needs to speak to the duty inspector at the station to get the details to pass on to his insurer.

You can get his insurance details for £4 here:

http://stayinsured.askmid.com/roadside.html

Link on the right end side of the page

+1

ASKmid is not working at the moment. the Offender who thought it would be fun to drink and drive reg

number is [edited] (MERCEDES-BENZ ML - Color BLACK) Anyone in the Essex Area see this car be careful.

Edited by honeybee13
Reg details removed.

ASKmid is not working at the moment. the Offender who thought it would be fun to drink and drive reg

number is [edited] (MERCEDES-BENZ ML - Color BLACK) Anyone in the Essex Area see this car be careful.

UK26, I've removed the registration details you posted. I can't think it's a good idea to make this information public.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

The police advised me that his insurance will be void as he was over the drink driving limit and his insurance company may try and refuse to pay for the damage.

Is this true? its out of order if it is and affect my insurance.

No, the police were talking rubbish. Section 148 of the Road Traffic Act specifically makes certain types of exclusion in insurance policies void, at least as far as the compulsory third party section of the policy goes.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/148

Drunkenness comes under "the physical or mental condition of the persons driving the vehicle", so even if his insurance did have a clause to say that it was invalid if he was over the drink drive limit, his insurer would still have to pay for the damage to your car. They might subsequently send him the bill for the the money they paid out to you - but that would be his problem, not yours.

And isn't failure to provide insurance details after an accident an offence in itself ?

Only if the accident caused injury. In a damage only accident the only information you're required to provide at the scene if your name and address, the name and address of the vehicle owner (if different), and the vehicle registration number.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

There's separate legislation requiring you to give your insurance details if/when a claim is actually made against you.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/154

However as above in practice it doesn't really matter because if the OP has the registration number he can easily get the insurance details from AskMID. Or his insurance company can do it for him if he goes through them.

Insurance companies will have to pay out on third party claims, regardless of whether the driver was under the influence. His insurance would probably be void in the respect that any claims damage to his vehicle will be rejected.

What generally happens is, the insurance company will pay third party claims, and then recover the costs through the county court against the policy holder as they are deemed to be in breach of the terms and conditions of the insurance policy.

I'm glad he was caught, it's a shame that some people still choose to drink and drive.

Well i phoned my insurance company at 8am this morning. by 9:01am the BMW Repair Centre was on the phone asking me to bring my car down to them for an estimate for repair.

• 1 month later...

Well just had my insurance renewal quote and its jumped up by £200 despite having protected no claims.

Discussed with my insurance company and they said until they have recovered all the money from the other party it goes down on my policy as my fault.

Despite the other person being in court 10/04/2015 for the offenses. he admitted to the police he had hit me.

What is the Fu**ing point in having car insurance as they insurance companies never are the ones to loss out. its always the customer who is not at fault.

Had similar pal. Got hit while I was parked in parking space. Other driver admitted fault and all costs were recovered. Even so, the following year i was priced out the market so had to sell my car !

Modern day Robery

yes gotta admit the same

old car was hit by a stolen dumper truck

cost me £700

never saw the claim money even through MID

next renew was 3 times the previous year.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Recovery of costs from the other party's insurer is a completely separate process to criminal proceedings and it usually takes a lot longer - months rather than weeks.

Ask your insurer what the renewal quote would be if it was recorded as a non-fault accident and ask them to confirm that they'll refund you the difference in premium if/when they do make full recovery from the other side.

Then shop around and see if you can find a cheaper quote, and ask your new insurer the same questions. Bear in mind that if you change insurer you will have to do some chasing up yourself when the claim is settled because your old insurer wn't automatically tell your new one that they've recovered their money.

It's a bit late now, but you'd probably have been better off going directly to the third party's insurer rather than making a claim on your own policy - that way your own insurer would have had no outlay to begin with and it would have been recorded as no fault from the outset.