southwest trains - Forgot HM Forces Railcard

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am new to the forum,

I recently travelled to london for the day,

starting my journey from Andover and arriving in london waterloo.

However on the return leg of my journey the barrier wouldn't lift and I was told that it was because I had a railcard.

I was asked to produce my Railcard, however I had forgotten it.

I was told to go have a chat with a guy now aware was a revenue officer.

The revenue officer asked for my details which i provided, name, address, DOB, ID etc.

The revenue officer made a phone call and then he issued me with an MG11.

I didn't really no what he was issuing me at the time and i was told to sign.

I was told to produce my railcard to Andover railway station the next day

but when i went to check my railcard i have now just released that it is no longer in date.

railcard expired on 12th november 2013, so well over a year.

I rarely use my railcard but i am not sure they will show any sympathy.

Please can someone offer advice as I am now afraid of prosecution and how that can affect my career in the armed forces

Edited by kilgs85

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be awaiting any letter you might get through first now

ok get the railcard done

at least that will show willingness and its usefulness.

no real point in presenting it now.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi thanks for the reply.

It all just happened yesterday.

Would buying a new railcard straight away help much or would it be more of an admission of guilt?

What specific criteria in the railway byelaws/regulations of railways act have i broken?

I'd really appreciate continued correspondence.

they'll tell you the byelaws that are of importance

IF they take it further.

dunno about buying a new railcard being admission of guilt

you still need one surely?

there are plenty of railcard threads here that outline the relevant byelaws.

sit tight and don't worry

theres probably been a 1001 things on your mind being in the forces

if its the only time you've done it

I cant see it being a real issue

honesty is the very best policy in these circumstances

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

Ive had a look at the different threads and i cant seem to draw on any positives.

Ur comments do offer hope however.

From what others have said companies like FCC (first capital Connect) who issue the court order seem to be quite ruthless and show little empathy.

However FCC no longer seem to be in operation.

Perhaps someone could make me aware of who i should contact to halt litigations proceedings

and nip the prospect of a court summons in the bud.

I am aware that SouthWestTrains are owned by stagecoach.

Would stagecoach be the people i would need to contact to put a halt to this?

as advised in post 2

you await the letter IF IT EVER COMES.

they have 6mts,

as a side note

you say this Is/was a forces railcard & they were aware of this..?

I know what I'd do...give you a break and forget it...

lets see

and they

Hello there.

dx is right, I'm afraid you need to wait for the letter from SWT. Once it arrives, come back here and we'll help you to compose a letter. This isn't the worst case we've seen, you were using your own card and made an unfortunate omission from what you say.

We've had a couple of successes recently of people negotiating an out of court settlement and you will also be able to do this once the letter arrives and you have explained your side of the story.

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Typo.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello there.

dx is right, I'm afraid you need to wait for the letter from SWT. Once it arrives, come back here and we'll help you to to compose a letter. This isn't the worst case we've seen, you were using your own card and made an unfortunate omission from what you say.

We've had a couple of successes recently of people negotiating an out of court settlement and you will also be able to do this once the letter arrives and you have explained your side of the story.

HB

ok thanks for the reply.

My offences are quite serious though.

-i travelled without a railcard

-My railcard has considered by a considerable length of time (expired november 2013)

Ive used my railcard probably twice since it has been invalid. It has been inspected on several occasions and none of the ticket officers had mentioned that it was out of date.

I didn't even try to be dishonest in this situation, as ive said the barrier wouldn't lift, i was told to present a railcard, i realised i didn't have it on me, i was told to speak to a guy in a red coat (revenue officer) i gave up all my details, address, dob showed my army id etc. I complied fully and he phoned up a helpdesk to check the information i had provided. I honestly had't realised at the time that it was out of date. I didnt get 'caught out' as such...

its good that there have been some success stories. Il do anything to avoid a criminal record and also i wouldn't want to lose my job from this.Is that even a possibility?

Edited by kilgs85
Wrong train co.

Hello again.

I'm afraid we can only speculate until you receive the letter, please try not to torment yourself with what might happen.

I hope one of our rail people will see your thread because I know Old-CodJA usually says not to tell them anything that they don't already know.

HB

ok should i bother him with a private message?

OC? You can't send PMs with your post count. He turns up regularly on the forum, but if we don't see people like OC and other regulars in the next few days, I'll send some SOSs for you.

The letters aren't sent out quickly, it could be a few weeks before you see anything and you can only write back to SWT once you have the reference on their letter.

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Wrong train co. :(

Should i send an email to southwest trains customer relations and explain my case?

I spoke to them on the phone just now and they told me to call back tomorrow

and that on occasion they can transfer you and let you speak with the prosecution team.

Although I don't know how likely that will be.

I've trawled through my emails and i am only able to see that I have used my railcard on only 2 occasions when it has expired.

One journey was with First Great Western from Salisbury to Bristol on 4th of January this year I paid £7.80 i owe £3.90 for this journey.

Second journey was yesterday on South West Trains from Andover to London Waterloo on the 21st of february, I paid £24.90 i owe £12.45 for this journey.

Edited by kilgs85

I'd not poking my head up yet...ops too late

await the letter if one comes!!

dx

and they

you are forces its a forces railcard

they might shine lightly on you and forget about it.

off CAG before this..I've been told this often happens on genuine mistakes where these cards are involved [forces railcard]

and they

was trying to tag the rail guy in this thread.obviously it didnt work!

Don't worry.

I know you want to sort this and we want to help you, but it's worth bearing in mind that everybody here is a volunteer. OC is probably relaxing on Sunday before starting work again tomorrow.

As I said, if OC or other experts don't turn up in the next day or two, I'll contact them and ask them to look in. You have time. :)

HB

• Confused 1

Firstly I'm going to ask the OP to tell us what the date that is stamped in the centre of the Railcard reads please? (and there is good reason for asking)

The days when HMF Railcards were issued free of charge to serving personnel are long gone I'm afraid and for the last few years those entitled to hold them have had to pay a small fee. That of course puts the onus of responsibility to check and ensure you keep them up to date with the purchaser.

As others have said, the best thing you could have done at this early stage was to wait and see if you received a letter because there is always a chance that the inspector might not have put the report in, may have lost his notes, or, the company may have failed to complete the admin process and were unable to do so. That said, you have now contacted them and flagged up the issue.

You should not tell them anything that they don't already know, but should be truthful in stating the facts of what occurred.

Unfortunately, it is a generally slow process and any letter can take as much as 6 weeks at busy times.

If pursued, this is unlikely to be a Byelaw matter as a more serious charge can be alleged, but I'll reserve further comment on that until we get a response from the OP.