Halifax Mortgage Protection Insurance 1987

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3384 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Currently have a claim in with the FOS over a mortgage PPI claim back in 1987.

This in on behalf of my father (who was alive 2-years ago when he submitted the claim) but has now died.

I am continuing it on behalf of my mother.

I have today received a rejection letter from the FOS stating that they don't think the policy was miss sold

and that it was suitable for my father who was self employed.

When we made the claim my Farher distinctly recalled that he was told he had to have the policy

otherwise he wouldn't get the endowment mortgage

when he tried to make a claim on the policy, as he was self employed,

he was told he would have to renounce his company with HMRC etc in order to make a claim.

There's little we can do about the issue of being 'forced' to take out the policy on the threat of next getting the mortgage,

but hopefully there is something I can do about the policy not being suitable for a self employed person.

I attach the front page of the mortgage PPI certificate which Halifax have provided to FOS

unbelievable, they cant find the rest of the pages which I assume would say under what circumstances a claim can be made

- I know its a long shot but does anyone have a copy of the rest of the document

- which I assume will be general terms and conditions.

Thanks in advance.

Hi can you please convert your image to pdf format, it is too tiny to read as it is.

Was the decision letter from a first tier adjudicator or from the Ombudsman proper ? If the adjudicator, then you should write back rejecting the decision and asking for it to be escalated to the Ombudsman.

These insurances were of no value to Self Employed people at all, so this decision is ridiculous. I will try and find someone who can advise further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I have converted to PDF.

We have already written back to the 1st tier adjudicator once rejecting their first decision.

The same adjudicator has now written back a second time (good 7-months later)

including various documents Halifax have sent,

including the certificate of insurance with all the various terms and conditions missing.

They have said that neither us nor Halifax have been able to show that the policy wasn't valid for a self-employed person/

was valid for a self employed person and therefore have found in favor of Halifax.

I have until early March to write back to escalate to a Ombudsman for review.

It would be useful if I could send the terms and conditions that Halifax have 'lost'.

Any Ideas?

Thanks again.

I think you might have left your name on the document - have unapproved can you edit and replace :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You need to ask for an escalation to the Ombudsman proper.

IMHO, it is unfair to find in favour of the Halifax, if they are unable to prove their side of the claim !!

BCOBS

Hi Planner,

I would definitely reject the Adjudicator's decision and have the matter referred to an Ombudsman.

I would also try to get the review to focus on the "compulsory" nature of the PPI, rather than the issue of whether the PPI covered s/employed folk or not.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

It doesnt matter, hes been dead for over two years, I will just leave the jpeg up if its a concern.

Of course, I forgot about that, will reapprove for you.

BCOBS