cautioned for travelling on the oveground with wrong travel card.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3412 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I university student and I travel from slade green in kent to london and I have a 16-25 student oyster card. I used to get a zone 1-6 weekly travelcard on my oyster but started to get zone 1-2 weekly travelcard thinking i would be ok with it. Got caught today by an inspector at slade green station and was cautioned and was asked severall questions. I told them my friend said I could use a zone 1-2 travel card and said I didnt know that it was a zone 6 station. They asked for my friends name and address but i only gave his name.

I know its totally my fault dont know what to do. What will happen next, would I be prosecuted? Really scared. Any advice please.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to CAG. The forum guys should be along later with advice for you.

What happened when you were stopped please? Did the RPI take a statement, did you sign anything? I'm guessing if you were cautioned that you did.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you. I'm a bit confused about them asking for your firiend's details, maybe one of the industry guys will comment on that. It would also be helpful if you could tell us which train company we're talking about please.

What I would expect to happen next is that in due course, up to 6-8 weeks, you will get a letter from the company asking for your version of events. When that arrives, you come back here and tell us what they've said and we take it from there.

The information I requested would help the guys to advise you.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thank you. I'm a bit confused about them asking for your firiend's details, maybe one of the industry guys will comment on that. It would also be helpful if you could tell us which train company we're talking about please.

What I would expect to happen next is that in due course, up to 6-8 weeks, you will get a letter from the company asking for your version of events. When that arrives, you come back here and tell us what they've said and we take it from there.

The information I requested would help the guys to advise you.

HB

He asked for my friends details as i said my friend told me i could use a zone 1-2 travelcard.

The train company is southeastern.

He asked for my friends details as i said my friend told me i could use a zone 1-2 travelcard.

The train company is southeastern.

Honeybee13 is correct, it will probably be a few weeks before you hear from the company

If you were not travelling with a ticket or Railcard that belonged to someone else, your friend's details are irrelevant although the inspector might have been attempting to test the veracity of your claim by seeing how you reacted in providing an answer.

The bottom line is that you were found to be travelling without a valid ticket and it is you who are responsible for ensuring that you have a valid ticket for your journey.

It is possible that you may be prosecuted, but before we can say how likely that is, it will be necessary to know a little more.

When you were cautioned & questioned, can you recall what you told the inspector?

Honeybee13 is correct, it will probably be a few weeks before you hear from the company

If you were not travelling with a ticket or Railcard that belonged to someone else, your friend's details are irrelevant although the inspector might have been attempting to test the veracity of your claim by seeing how you reacted in providing an answer.

The bottom line is that you were found to be travelling without a valid ticket and it is you who are responsible for ensuring that you have a valid ticket for your journey.

It is possible that you may be prosecuted, but before we can say how likely that is, it will be necessary to know a little more.

When you were cautioned & questioned, can you recall what you told the inspector?

I told the inspector that I travelled to university 3 times a week, from Sladegreen to London. He asked me where do you live I said Sladegreen and he asked me for how long for which I answered 6 years. He then asked me do you know this is a zone 6 station for which I said no and then he asked me again and I said no. Back in October 2014 I was buying the zones 1-6 travelcard but then started to buy the zones 1-2 travel and they saw this on the checking machine and asked me you obviously knew that you had to buy zones 1-6 as you have bought it in the past for which I answered my friend told me I could use zones 1-2 (which is stupid I know but didn't know what else to say). He then asked me you travelled from zones 1-6 with a zone 1-2 travelcard how do you intend to pay for your travel between zones 2-6 for which I didnt know how to answer and he asked was you trying to avoid paying the full fare amount for which I said yes (I disagreed to this question when I was asked the same question earlier). He then asked for my friends name and address for which I didnt give the address but gave a name. He asked me whether I travelled with the same ticket yesterday for which I had to say yes.