UJM printouts workaround help

craig_in_the_uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I have signed on for the first time in a while. My initial interview with my Work Coach didn't go exactly how I had hoped. She mentioned she would be requiring evidence of my work search and since I hadn’t granted her access to my UJM account she could request that I show her either printouts from my UJM account or that I log in at one of the IAD's within the job centre so she could physically look at my account on screen.

Now I know I am protected by the Data Protection Act from granting her access to my UJM account. But surely being forced into giving her printouts and her viewing my account on-screen is still a violation of the DPA?

I have hunted around for Official Evidence to hit the Work Coach with when I eventually decline these requests, but to no avail. Is there anyone who could provide me with a link to a document that I could print out and show to my work Coach and basically shut her up? :)

Thanks for reading.

Hi Craig, Your work coach is wrong and trying it on to make his job easier to possibly Sanction you.

You do not have to allow anyone to view your UJM account at all only verify that you have an account.

You do not have to print out any screen shots from UJM

Have a look here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/jobsearch_evidence_2

I have no problem with my adviser accepting an excel file that I created myself and print out, Have enclosed

a sample that your welcome to edit and use yourself.

George

http://www.marshall-hosting.co.uk/jcp/sample%20job%20search.xlsx

You may not like this, but...

Presumably you have a requirement in your Job Seeker's Agreement (or Claimant Commitment) to use UJM a certain number of times per week. On that basis, the adviser can indeed ask for evidence of UJM usage, either by viewing your account from an IAD, screenshots provided by yourself, or accessing your account from his/her computer if access is agreed. Please have a read of the attached document.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Cheers George, that spreadsheet file looks the dogs. I will certainly use that. I am sure I will have no trouble with the Job Centre as I am actively looking for work and not a free ride. But in past experiences with these people its best to be prepared.

Mr.P. Seems after a quick look at that file you linked the Job Centre are flipping the finger at the DPA. Paragraph 88 is the killer blow!

Seems after a quick look at that file you linked the Job Centre are flipping the finger at the DPA.

Not really. The DWP "own" the UJM site and are the data controllers. Any information that you enter could be used however the DWP see fit. Your job search activity on UJM is hardly personal & confidential data, so you'd be poorly advised to try hiding behind the DPA when the Jobseeker’s Allowance Regulations requires you to provide evidence.

That said, you can use the UJM Toolkit manual in defence of how you provide the information, be it screenshots, spreadsheets, or hand written notes. Just be warned: A JCP adviser may require sight of supporting evidence.

However, noone is obliged to use UJM.

Seeing as you are entitled to have your Claiment committment reviewed at any time, you could try getting it removed frOm your cc

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Like I said earlier I am actively seeking work. I just do not want to be bullied by them. The problem with this evidence gathering is that I'm not really using UJM for job searching. I find alternative sites are equally as good if not better. I also do not use online email accounts for contacting employers. I have my ISP email alias for that. Does this mean I must screen shot my private email accounts too?

[...]I'm not really using UJM for job searching. I find alternative sites are equally as good if not better. [...] I have my ISP email. Does this mean I must screen shot my private email accounts too?

As far as UJM usage is concerned, it really depends on what your JSAg/CC says about it. If the agreement says you have to check it daily, then be prepared to provide evidence to that effect. How you provide this evidence is your choice (as per UJM Toolkit).

From time to time, a JCP adviser may ask to see emails to support any job application recorded. This is not uncommon, so be prepared to show copies if asked (with personal information redacted if need be). If you have an iPad, notebook, or all singing phone, just wave the screen under their nose.

The charade is indeed a pain in the backside, but you do need to respond to any reasonable request or risk a benefit doubt (a.k.a. sanction) from being raised.

This is where the JC is crafty..they know full well you don't have to give access or provide printouts.. but they also know they can accuse you of not providing evidence if you don't show them something.

If your CC just says 'check UJ x times' then log in, create a search for say, 'administration' jobs (which will be listed in your activities page) and then screen print this list at the end of the fortnight as proof you 'checked'. I do this and the JC is fine with it. I also find a couple of jobs on UJ which can be applied for externally - ie by Reed or CV-Library site - and apply via these sites, showing screenprints.

As has already been said, best way is to get any mention of UJ removed from your CC totally if possible. Always show plenty of jobsearch evidence from other sites so they can never acuse you of not looking.

Remember they only have to be satisfied you're doing a reasonable amount; they have no say at all where or how you choose to do it (unless it's specifically listed as an 'action' on your CC). Avoid using that 'My Workplan Booklet' too - it's a sanction trap if you write down you'll do something and then the adviser finds you didn't.

The information you seek is basically what laws are there to protect your personal information, specifically such information as is held electronically. In addition to the information that has already been pointed out there are the rules and regulations contained in this Directive which is now both UK and EU law.

The Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/pdfs/uksi_20032426_en.pdf

If you have been obliged to sign up to UJM, by fair means or foul, and haven't already been issued with a copy of the terms and conditions applicable to both parties to a UJM Account agreements, and the obligations of the provider on the services provided, and the end use to which your personal information is put, and the guarantees that your personal data is being protected, and the action to take if the services fails you or breaks down, then insist on it now. Should that information not be forthcoming, or not to your satisfaction, then insist on your right to having your Agreement with DWP altered to exclude any reference to UJM.

An example of a line to take with your adviser would be to ascertain by subtle questioning:

"Explain how giving advisers access to my UJ Account will help me in my job seeking activities when there are dozens of other better sites I could be using to better effect?"

"How long is the information on my UJ Account held for? What sort of use can it be put to by advisers? Can it be used to measure my job seeking activities and then to suggest further action or penalties?"

Having got your answers then you will be in a position to ask yourself: "Did I agree to engage in a system that can ultimately lead to my own disadvantage and detriment?"

The Directive says that any use information held is put to must have your consent. I'm sure you didn't consent to penalties being imposed on you as a result of information provided by yourself that you were led to believe was supposed to help you.

The Directive gives you the right to withdraw that consent so deceptively obtained.