Disciplinary on Monday over absence - refuse to attend?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3393 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I've been asked to go to a disciplinary on Monday: This is part of the letter emailed to me, I've accepted the meeting but now I want to refuse it.

--------------------------------

Evidence of this is a Bradford factor score (based on absences in the last 12 months) of 238.

You have reached this score following a 5 day absence in February 2014 and then 4 short term absences in the past 6 months –

August 8th – Migraine

September 10th – Sickness

December 8th – Cold/flu

January 18th – Stomach ache/sickness

--------------------

1. The bradford score he's worked out is wrong.

2. It was 4 days in Feb not 5 - so not accurate, which is should be as this is the only sickness I have done a return to work interview for. (before he started work here)

3. no return to work interviews at any of the other sickness dates, I made him aware in September I've not been getting return to work meetings and he just told me that my score isn't bad and there is nothing for me to worry about.

4. September says sickness because there is no record of it anywhere, I can't remember what it was either at this moment.

5. I feel like he's wasting my time, and doing it for alternative reasons other than concern about me/my team, he's already decided what he's going to do about it before we even get to the disciplinary.

I am going to call Acas on Monday as well, but I start a 7pm, the meeting is at 8pm and I have an hour when I get here, which I am planning on emailing him, and the CEO of the company and refusing to attend this disciplinary, but inviting him for a meeting with me?

I don't want to seem like I don't care about my sickness, I do, I work around 250 - 300 hours a month and I have more than covered the lack of staff situation - including the massive mess over xmas/new year, I do other peoples jobs for them and fill in where needed and I feel like it's all meant nothing. I have been here 18 months.

Please anybody with any advice, thank you!

go to the meeting and state your case. Refusal to comply with process may also be regarded as misconduct. You'll probably just be asked to watch your health better! There's no point being arsey about it.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I don't want to come across as arsey. I want to be able to say that I'm not minimising my absence, but if it was becoming a problem then some notice, advice or support would have been the professional thing to do, instead of leaving me to believe everything is fine. I made him aware in September I wasn't having a return to work meetings, and he told me everything was fine and not to worry.

return to work meetings are not a legal requirement and are often a waste of time for minor ailments.

if you think the process has been incorrectly applied then the meeting is the place to tell him.

of course in September, you were 2 absences lighter. So I'd expect this to be the "we've noticed" meeting.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

With 18 months service I wouldn't be attempting to refuse to attend a disciplinary hearing. It will probably make them more inclined to dismiss.

Why not see what they have to say? Apologise and reassure them it won't happen again and you may be okay... But the reality is your sick record is fairly poor - at least one day off per month for several months in a row - I think they're well within their rights to take action.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologise and reassure them it won't happen again?? I don't think being fake and trying to tell them what they might want to hear is helpful to the situation.

This has become another issue now, but thanks for the advice.