Moving abroad with debt - tell banks I'm moving to reduce chance of CCJ?

Guest Blimey90
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3392 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Blimey90

Hello everyone,

I will be leaving the UK soon to move to Australia and set up a new life with my partner.

I have debt on credit cards and loans with a few different banks.

With circumstances over the next couple of years probably won't be in a position to pay them back.

As I need to move to Australia soon I was just going to move and then when I was in a position to pay them back personally

and financially in a couple of years get in contact with the banks then.

My question is, is it better to:

1) Just disappear and not tell the banks I have moved to Australia so it reduces the chance of debt collecting agencies chasing me in Australia or

2) Tell the banks I am living in Australia so they cannot get a CCJ against me at my last known address in my absence.

To be honest I was just going to move without contacting the banks and deal with it all down the line.

However I have read on here that Australia has a reciprocal enforcement agreement that could be enforced if a CCJ is logged against me.

Therefore am I better telling the banks I am outside the uk so they can not give me a CCJ

as unless I am mistaken the only way I could get trouble in Australia for my outstanding debt is if the CCJ is given then enforced.

But if I tell them where I am living will I not just get bombarded with calls and letters harassing me??

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

it is always worthy to tell them.

that way they cant issue a CCJ in your absence.

however, if they do issue a CCJ and you don't ell them

in all reality, bar what you have read here from basically the same source but repeated by others

there is infact little they can do to you in AUS. even with a CCJ

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

To run up a credit card debt then just move overseas is wrong

Are you using their money to assist you moving

You owe it so pay it

Perhaps they have no choice and need to move to earn a living. They have not mentioned, not paying the debts back.

Best advice is to inform creditors of your up to date address after you have moved. Settle into your new life and do your best to pay any credit that is outstanding. Even if the debt cannot be enforced in Australia, if you are ever asked by Australian Banks to provide details of your UK credit history, you don't really want defaults noted on your credit history.

The number of people I see post online who have moved to Australia with UK debts left behind, seem to get into the same problems again. Australia has become a very expensive country to live in, unless you move away from the major cities.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread