Personal Guarantees - Best Way to Deal with Them?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3411 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is my first post.

I've had mental health problems for 40 years since I was 11. They have sabotaged my life.

In May my GP finally accepted that I have a rare sleep disorder and prescribed additional medication.

I've been back at work since June although I am still learning to cope with my condition

and I've additional help to come this year in the form of psycotherapy.

Lovely :!:

In 2007 I put a company I ran into voluntary liquidation.

I had signed some personal guarantees with two companies.

They went to court and have Restrictions on the jointly owned home.

I ran up some credit card debts at the same time (in my now ex partners name).

I am reasonably sure I can remove them this year with full and final settlements.

The debts were

Company 1 - £43K (interest now added)

Company 2 - £36K (interest now added)

I wasn't able to attend court to defend the charging orders. Far to ill. Only really understood how ill I have been in the last month.

The family home is now going through contracts to sell.

My solicitior asked for redemption statements from the two companies.

I understand that his proactive approach may well have not been in my best interests.

I have asked him to inform me how that can be mitigated.

I want to understand what options I have to deal with these two debts please.

My equity in the home is £25K so I will not be able to pay off either creditor in full

and I have a seven year old daughter to think of.

And before anyone berates me for running up credit card debts in my (ex) partners name

I am ashamed of that and I am sorting that out from my own pocket.

I've not been in the best place to make good decisions due to depression and sleep deprivation.

Thank you in advance for any help / advice.

Nuttymut

Hi Nuttymut, I am pleased to see that you finally managed to log into CAG :)

Rest assured, no one on CAG will berate you .. we are here to help and not be judgmental.

Meanwhile, I will try and find someone who might be able to help with your queries .

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What else could your solicitor do? This is exactly what charging orders are for.

I am not aware that companies will accept F&F settlements when they've been to court and got a CO.

Edited by caro

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The solicitor was under a professional obligation to deal with the restrictions.

Ultimately, if you can't get them removed it will prevent you from selling the house, you will not have good title on it. As caro says, it is unusual for a company to accept a full and final offer when they have security for the debt.

Sorry I can't offer anything more positive.

Once a charging order has been obtained the debt is secured against the property. If the 25k equity doesn't take into account the charging orders then your property is in negative equity and if you proceed with a sale I don't think you'd get anything from it. You can contact the creditors and see if they would accept a lower lump sum to remove the restriction and see what they say (it might be best not to say anything about the forthcoming sale).

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

• 2 weeks later...

I had a CO removed by a company on condition I paid a percentage of the debt. The remainder was written off, so it is possible.

At the time, the company was aware that if they didn't accept that, they would probably have got nothing as I'd have had to go bankrupt, I don't know if that influenced anything.