Question about self certification and right to view what your employer holds about you?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3454 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My friend has been trying to register on the forum to ask this but he is having some problem with his registeration? Anyway, he has asked me to put this up as he id desperate for some advice. Thanks :)

'I had my first day off last week after a year with my company. For the first 7 months I was actually a temp and for last 6.5 months a full time employee. I was told I would taken on after a 3 month period but had to wait, reducing my Christmas bonus by £80 for those extra four months I was a temp.

Although two members actually left the company to go somewhere else to work. However it did not work out for either and returned and received a full years bonus. After my only day off, the company ask me to complete an in-house self-certified sick note. Which I did. I did this with my team leader, we completed the first page and started the second, he then said just sign it as its the a repeated form the first page. I did, had no reason to mistrust him and then I just returned to my post assuming I could be able to get a photocopy.

The next day when I went to the office and ask if I could have a copy of my sick note, I was denied bluntly; spoken down to (patronised) . I would like to know if is this legal, can an employer do this? Furthermore, do I have actually have to complete the part about why I was off or can I keep my reason to myself under my confidential clause?

I can't say 100% from memory you can refuse but i think you can... however.................

You can have any person data from your employer under a SAR but if i was you/your friend i'd be keeping my mouth firmly shut until i had 24 months in irrelevant of it was legal or not.

refusing to disclose only ever brings suspicion from the employer and also allows them to have no duty to help you, with no idea if your off because you split a nail, couldn't be arsed or because you were receiving chemotherapy, the only thing they have to do is apply their sickness policy and take nothing into account as mitigating circumstances for the sickness.

Arrogant and rude workmates are simply one of life's hurdles and bonuses are optional unless set out clearly in a contract but this part of your post i read as a "extra post content bonus" as it appears to have zero relevance to the question posed - edit - sounds much harsher than it is meant to but it's too late to think of another way of saying it :)

if you are that fussed you can download and fill out your own form in future from here, and copy it before you hand it in

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

yes, you do need to tell your employer why you are off. They'd like to know if it's nonovirus for example so they can ask you not to come back until you are not infectious...

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!