Best Internet security software ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3431 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking at changing internet security software and wonder whether anyone has any recommendations. A lot of people say that they use fee anti-virus software such as Avast or AVG, but in the past I have used paid for software believing it offers best protection. But given that the subscription renewal is more expensive than I can buy the product from elsewhere, I won't be doing it that way. It is F-secure which costs £25 to renew or I can buy it from Amazon as a download for £11.99.

Norton is one of the best for protection, but it does slow down your system and internet connections. That is what I am finding with a free trial version.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

norton is crap

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

norton is crap

It's no that good :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Microsoft security essential

its free written by/for the windows os.

cant fault it.

put it on everything

no AV software is fool proof

esp if the person using the internet has admin rights

as 99% of users that get infected persist in using a windows log in that has admin right

rather than making a new user with LIMITTED RIGHTS.

that way 99% of the nasties

can never be installed blindly.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Microsoft security essential

its free written by/for the windows os.

cant fault it.

put it on everything

no AV software is fool proof

esp if the person using the internet has admin rights

as 99% of users that get infected persist in using a windows log in that has admin right

rather than making a new user with LIMITTED RIGHTS.

that way 99% of the nasties

can never be installed blindly.

dx

That is useful to know. So you set up the main account you use to have no admin rights and then set up a secondary log on with admin rights ?

I have MS essentials already, but was not sure it has the full range of internet security features.

I might give Bitdefender a try, as they offer a 60 day free trial.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

no-one that browses the internet should have admin right

it just lets all the scripts and java code and stuff pass straight through

as 'windows' assumes as an administrator you know what you are doing!!

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no-one that browses the internet should have admin right

it just lets all the scripts and java code and stuff pass straight through

as 'windows' assumes as an administrator you know what you are doing!!

I will look to change the way I use the internet in future. I just presumed that if anyone wanted to hack into my computer that they could access everything i.e all accounts.

esp if you use cloud based systems.

it what get through blindly that catches people out.

that's why they are called Trojans.

one part gets on your machine through a fake picture, document, downloaded pirate video file or whatever.

it is activated by a program the hackers use to 'sniff' for pc's advertising it has this already installed.

the bob's your uncle they are in as an admin, because, well an admin let it be installed...and they have full access.

might sound dramatic, but in a nutshell

that's how they work.

along with never browsing the internet when using a windows admin log-in...

one of the other ways to alert you to nasties is to change windows to show extensions.

most pc's are set to not show extensions, by that we mean .jpg, .doc etc in file listings

on a hard drive

so most people when they list say their photos on a drive don't see photonumber.jpg

they only see photonumber

but if they do see .jpg they think its right.

but its not!

it will actually be photonumber.jpg.exe - a virus [a program hence the .exe bit]

but because extensions are turned off

you don't see the .exe, but just .jpg

this can be turned on under folder extensions of windows browser..

untick hide extensions of known file types under the view tab

and they

Good advice DX, BTW some techies regard Norton itself as a virus.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Good advice DX, BTW some techies regard Norton itself as a virus.

Well, Norton does lock your computer down, take a ton of resources and pretty much does what it wants no matter what you tell it to do.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I've used Kaspersky for years and never had a problem.

It's free if you bank with Barclays, but I used to buy the license every year and I was happy to pay.

As others said, first of all you have to be a bit wise using your computer, the antivirus then can help you.

Well, Norton does lock your computer down, take a ton of resources and pretty much does what it wants no matter what you tell it to do.

Try uninstalling a Norton infestation reformat and reinstallation of Windows is only sure way of eradicating Norton.

As to freebies, Avast is quite good, but it seems to regard Google Chrome as a virus, AVG still OK, and Avira is a contender.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

best way is to not format

under te windows install

remove ALL partitions

then select all the unallocated space.

glary utils is a good tool for cleaning everything

and theres the Norton removal tool too.

dx

and they

I've used Kaspersky for years and never had a problem.

It's free if you bank with Barclays, but I used to buy the license every year and I was happy to pay.

As others said, first of all you have to be a bit wise using your computer, the antivirus then can help you.

Do you honestly trust a piece of Russian software not to have spyware in it, I trust absolutely nothing that comes out of Russia.

Very antiquated view:madgrin:

Do you honestly trust a piece of Russian software not to have spyware in it, I trust absolutely nothing that comes out of Russia.

I didn't even know it was Russian.

Anyway, I have used it for years and never experienced a virus of any sort.

Barclays gives it out for free, so if they steal my bank details, Barclays will have no other option than refund.

Probably I've been lucky or maybe I never got a virus because I use only reputable programs and never visit dodgy websites or click on links I don't know about.

Very antiquated view:madgrin:

I think it is more relevant now than at any time since the cold war ended, (it did end didn't it).

You have more to fear from Barclays then Russia.:!:

Try telling that to Ukraine.

O.K. valid points on both counts, Russia messed up big time with Ukraine, it's all to do with Putin's ego. He want's to be a hero, immortalised in history. This is happening all because of one man, history shows that is very dangerous indeed.

You just need to watch the Youtube videos of Putin.

I think it is more relevant now than at any time since the cold war ended, (it did end didn't it).

Try telling that to Ukraine.

re free - avast is/was good re browsing protection eg if a website is infected and tries to run. it has picked up a few for me, including re known (supposedly safe) sites. :wink:

but, it has become a bit more bloated than it used to be.

what browser do you use?

IMO

:-):rant:

re free - avast is/was good re browsing protection eg if a website is infected and tries to run. it has picked up a few for me, including re known sites. :wink:

but, it has become a bit more bloated than it used to be.

what browser do you use?

Firefox generally.

While I have been doing my research it amazes me the different prices that are quoted for the same product. Bitdefender total internet security £35 UK or available from US site for about £18. I am also offered a deal through Virgin Media for F-Secure for £25, when I can get F-Secure via Amazon for £12.

What I am going to do, is to try a few free ones and see how they compare. Also some free trials of paid for versions. If the paid for version free trials don't pick up a any addition security threats, then I might not bother to pay for one.

re fox, there are the add ons eg 'no script'. but, that is not much good where a supposedly safe website is fully allowed but is infected.

there is also the fox in built site blocker re forgeries/attack sites. dont know how good that is.

one of the thngs to look out for re 'internet security' is re what the a/v does re browsing, as per mentioned if a website is infected and whether the a/v can detect and prevent anything dodgy in a website whilst browsing. rather than just other forms of infection which require manual opening of a file eg in an email attachment, file, etc those of which are scanned by pretty much every a/v upon exe. if that makes sense :)

and, re trying diff a/v's, ensure one is uninstalled fully prior to trying another.

IMO

:-):rant:

• 4 weeks later...