I'm getting harrassed for someone elses debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into a Housing Association property two years ago,

the previous tenant racked up a fair bit of debt,

parking fines etc and then did a moonlight flit.

I have been writing and e mailing the various DCA's and bailiff firms in a vain attempt to get the deluge of threatening letters stopped to no avail.

I've already e mailed/faxed copies of my tenancy agreement to all concerned but the letters keep coming.

What's the best course of action?

I'm seriously thinking of sending them all a final letter stating that I'll be charging for any further correspondence

and suggesting that if they can't (or won't) accept proof of who I am

the best course of action would be for them to proceed with legal action and let the county court sort it all out.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

A formal complaint to each DCA or creditor preferably made to a specific company office e.g. the managing director or CEO of the company concerned.

The requires the company to filly investigate and respond within 56 days once you have their final responses then if the harassment does not cease it will be easier to take this to the next level.

Another alternative is a " Letter Before Action" pointing out what is happening and what you require the company to do to prevent you issuing court action.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I had the same problem when I moved into my property.

The previous tenant had debt, and I was getting their mail, I simply, marked the envelopes ''RTS NOT KNOWN AT THIS ADDRESS'' and put them back in the post.

I still get letters every now and them for them, I just read them and laugh, then bin them.

If I'm bored I might even give them a ring and bait them for a bit, all in all, there is nothing they can do, and isn't really anything to worry about.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

A formal complaint to each DCA or creditor preferably made to a specific company office e.g. the managing director or CEO of the company concerned.

The requires the company to filly investigate and respond within 56 days once you have their final responses then if the harassment does not cease it will be easier to take this to the next level.

Another alternative is a " Letter Before Action" pointing out what is happening and what you require the company to do to prevent you issuing court action.

Agree that you need to deal with this, otherwise it will drag on for ages. If the previous tenant had criminal fines unpaid, it might get to the stage where bailiffs are threatening to break in.

Perhaps the Housing Association can help you, by sending a letter to the people writing to you, saying that the tenants Mr X moved out of the property address on x date. It is then an official letter that might be taken more seriously.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Agree that you need to deal with this, otherwise it will drag on for ages. If the previous tenant had criminal fines unpaid, it might get to the stage where bailiffs are threatening to break in.

Perhaps the Housing Association can help you, by sending a letter to the people writing to you, saying that the tenants Mr X moved out of the property address on x date. It is then an official letter that might be taken more seriously.

Been there already, told them feck off on more than one occasion Rossendales are the worst, I emailed their CEO with proof of ID and a copy of the tenancy, they're still hassling me. Most (if not all) of these debt collectors have been sent proof of tenancy, and I even taped a copy of the agreement to the inside of the front window!

It seems that with every week that goes by I get another demand for money for the previous tenant, it's just getting on my nerves now. The HA won't send out any third party info, so no help from them.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

Been there already, told them feck off on more than one occasion Rossendales are the worst, I emailed their CEO with proof of ID and a copy of the tenancy, they're still hassling me. Most (if not all) of these debt collectors have been sent proof of tenancy, and I even taped a copy of the agreement to the inside of the front window!

It seems that with every week that goes by I get another demand for money for the previous tenant, it's just getting on my nerves now. The HA won't send out any third party info, so no help from them.

Well it appears you have done as much as you can. Your address is obviously the only address they can find for the previous tenant and so they will keep sending letters there.

I would just send the letters back 'return to sender addressee not at this address', unless you want to send recorded complaints to each company. I don't think the ICO or FOS can do anything. You could take these companies to court citing harassment and claim relevant compensation. People have done this and won before, but you would need evidence of a large number of communications which have caused you distress.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Actually

Under the DPA one of the principles is that data MUST BE ACCURATE

The wrong address is not accurate and therefore you migth want to investigate an ICO complaint that way.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I think you've been tackling this the wrong way. They have your address as the residence of the debtor. They clearly think he may still be living there - so showing them a copy of your tenancy agreement doesn't really address the issue. It proves you live there - it doesn't prove he does not. Council Tax for the current year is much better as it is a legal statement of who lives there. Give that a try. It may be the end of it.

I think you've been tackling this the wrong way. They have your address as the residence of the debtor. They clearly think he may still be living there - so showing them a copy of your tenancy agreement doesn't really address the issue. It proves you live there - it doesn't prove he does not. Council Tax for the current year is much better as it is a legal statement of who lives there. Give that a try. It may be the end of it.

I must agree this is correct way to go.