DVLA Fine for non-taxed vehicle

Pakmann
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help clarify my options and give me any advice.

Two weeks ago I returned to my car and discovered it had been clamped for not paying road tax.

I had honestly not realised that my vehicle was not taxed - as most people presumably do,

I renew the tax when I receive the reminder.

The tax ran out on 31st January and I have received no renewal notice nor any correspondence once the car was no longer taxed.

In the period the car has been un-taxed, I have renewed both the MOT and insurance so I am obviously not trying to avoid my responsibilities.

I definitely did not receive any correspondence from the DVLA since the previous year (which did come to the same correct address).

From what I can find online, it seems to be a common occurrence for the DVLA to send documents to the wrong address.

I have paid the fee to have the vehicle unclamped and paid the road tax.

However, I have now received what looks like a standard letter from the DVLA offering me an "out of court settlement" of £327

which also states it is a fine only and does not include any duty.

I am unsure what to do.

This was a simple oversight due to not receiving any correspondence from the DVLA.

I acknowledge that I have committed an offense but I am not someone actively trying to evade paying my taxes/insurance etc.

Does the DVLA have a legal requirement to send a reminder notice?

Or a requirement to follow up when a vehicle is not taxed

- so that I would have received some communication from the DVLA earlier and a significantly smaller fine?

I am not sure whether to simply pay the fine, though by reading the letter as it does not include any duty, I might then have to pay that in addition.

That means for a simple oversight I would be fined almost £500 which seems rather excessive.

On the other hand I could ask the court for mercy as it was a simple oversight and the DVLA should bear some responsibility.

Can anyone shed some light on my options and the possible outcomes? Or does anyone know of any similar cases?

Thanks for your help.

I have paid the fee to have the vehicle unclamped and paid the road tax.

I am not sure whether to simply pay the fine, though by reading the letter as it does not include any duty, I might then have to pay that in addition.

If you have paid the 'Road Tax', as you say, they can't ask for it again - unless you only paid from the current month in which you got caught. In which case they will certainly come after you for 'Road Tax' for the period from the expiry of the previous one up to when you paid from, as you did not SORN the car.

Accepting the Out of Court settlement offer makes it easier for them to chase you for the 'Road Tax'. Decline or ignore the offer and it will be added to the Court proceedings and you will end up paying it with their costs, penalty and Victim Surcharge.

As an aside, you had a very good reminder every time you looked at or cleaned your windscreen!

I agree.

"I didn't realise that it'd run out" might hold water for 9 days, but 9 months is stretching it quite a bit. doh.gif

I'd imagine from what you've said, that you've now taxed the vehicle, but only from 1st Oct. So the DVLA will be coming after you, one way or another for the unpaid VED from 1st Feb to 30th Sep.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

I'd imagine from what you've said, that you've now taxed the vehicle, but only from 1st Oct. So the DVLA will be coming after you, one way or another for the unpaid VED from 1st Feb to 30th Sep.

don't they charge you double as well for unpaid tax?

sorry its all bad news