Me and Harrington Brooks

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I too started a DMP with Harrington Brooks in Apr/May 2013, and

to be completely honest up until a few months ago hadn't REALLY had any issues.

It all stemmed from when I called them in May this year to find out where my plan was upto as I was pretty sure it had all been paid off.

The employee checked my account and apologised having realised that actually my plan had finished in April

but they had continued making payments to the creditors.

As I was within 3 days of my standing order, I couldn't cancel it,

but she assured me as soon as those days had past she would refund that payment.

With regards to the already existing overpayments to my creditors she had apparently contacted them

and they would be issuing me a cheque for those amounts overpaid.

I received my refund from HB a few days later but not creditors,

left it a few weeks as i know how companies drag their heels when needing to return money.

Still no money from creditors

called them directly.

Both companies were surprised HB had said this and didn't even know I had overpaid,

but yes looking at my account they could see it.

However, as HB had entered into a DMP agreement with them they couldn't refund the money to my bank account it had to go to HB's.

I spoke to HB and after a few heated discussions they conceded that yes they were at fault

and that they don't have regular contact with their financial department so it may take a while to sort out.

Another month passes and still no word,

I call HB again, this time apparently I've changed my address so they can't talk with the creditors due to failing security questions.

I check with the creditors the information they have on me, and all is correct.

I call HB and get the usual, OK will raise this and expect a response within a few days.

Nothing.

This back and forth continues for a couple of months until I get really angry and get through to a manager...finally.

He's as useful as a sandbox in the desert.

The constant response is,

we don't know when/if it has cleared into our account yet because "Creditors often lie" a

nd "They refund lump sums not individual cases".

The creditor says this is not the case and the payment actually left their accounts over 8 weeks ago now.

With my account number attached as a reference for HB.

Around 4 weeks ago I contact HB again, and finally get one of my refunds processed, £64 something.

However my second refund £144 odd is still outstanding.

I then receive an email from HB 2 days later saying that both refunds will be processed within the next couple of days.

Doesn't happen,

I contact them again and am told this is just a generic email and the money hasn't actually hit our accounts yet.

Now I've given up dealing with them and am trying to ascertain whether I can claim a refund for the monthly charges

they made for me to use their DMP service under Consumer or financial regulations,

considering their continued failure at communication and money issues.

Yes, I am now fully aware that one should avoid them like the plague now so please no obvious comments as that.

Please can anyone help with me the next steps,

While I am no longer desperate for the £144,

it's still a modest bit of cash that certainly wouldn't go amiss

and when I think of the hundreds I've lined HBs pockets with

I get really angry with their lack of actually running a competent financial or helpful service.

Thanks for reading this.

Have you sent Harrington Brooks a Subject Access Request ? It is in your own interest to have as much information as you can and this is one way of obtaining it.

It will cost you £10.00 - the company have 40 calendar days in which to respond.

I suspect you might end up having to make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman, but your first move should be to send an Official Complaint to HB's head office - if no satisfactory response from them, you can then escalate to the ombudsman or even issue a claim against HB if it is considered worthwhile !

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would contact the FCA as a matter of urgency.

we already know they are under the spotlight.

dx

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...