• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Financial Ombudsman - a recommendation

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Mr Keith22,

I'm afraid its me getting my 80 year old brain in a twist. I entered the Un Paid direct letter amounts not breaking it down into proper charge of £15 each or Standard charge £30 each. It makes a big difference on entries. This is on my wifes account, she has been offered £1115 to settle. I have claimed for her £100 UnAuth Borrowing Fee, £20 O/Draft Usage Fee, £650 O/Draft Excess Fees (17 Enteries) &£35 UnPaid Cheque (One Entry).Does this make sence to you?

In my case against Lloyds also, the bank have put £750 into my account they say to settle but I have to get the brain going again on a rehash after your mail. Thank goodnes for people like you. Thanks again. the old chap.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Old Chap,

I'll try and help as much as I can. You'll get lots of help from others here as well. The first thing to do is to start of your own thread so that we can keep track of things more easily for you. If you go to the Lloyds section of the forum or whatever Bank it is you'll see a button at the bottom which says NEW THREAD. Just click on that and make a first post- and we will all be able to help you. Apologies if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs and you know this already.

I have lodged a complaint with FO about bank charges and am waiting to see what happens. Why is everyone emailing them to complain? Is it because people have tried to claim charges for them and they havent been much help?

I personally decided to complain through FO because I am only trying to claim back £60 so it doesn't really seem enough to pursue a court case.

what i would love to see for everybody is that they bring the charges down one hell of a lot and the banks be made to pay back to everybody the amounts they took from thier customers unlawfully without people having to make claims after all the banks have all this info on all thier customers

Hi Jonchris

is this from personal experience of making a complaint through them? What happened in your case?

Nothing.

It will take them about 5 months before they even write to the bank. they aren't geared up to deal with all the complaints nor are they fulfilling their duty. Like the OFT they are allowing ordinary consumers to have to go to considerable time & effort not to say money to get these unlawful charges returned.. All they would need to do would be to bring 1 action & use that finding to instruct the banks to refund the money

I recently received replies from the FOS, which were basically a load of waffle stating that they were passing my notes to a 'caseworker.

Similar response from the BCSB, who can't seem to be bothered, despite the fact that their own codes state:

Section 5 of the Code: charges

Under this section each bank undertakes to give new customers details of any charges for the day-to-day operation of their accounts. Customers can also find out about these charges through telephone helplines, websites and by asking staff. If charges are increased or new charges introduced, customers must be told personally at least 30 days before the change takes effect. Before a bank takes interest or charges for standard account services it must give customers at least 14 days’ notice of how much will be taken. Banks are also required to provide a message on cash machine screens that tells customers the amount (if any) they will be charged for the transaction and who is making the charge.

(Personal notification can be by any one of a variety of methods: for example, by letter, statement insert, e-mail or secure internet messaging)

Obviously the Banking Code Standards board cannot be bothered to adhere to their own code of practice and punish those banks responsible!

My wife who is going thro FOS had a letter from them saying that Lloyds had agreed to refund £1115.00, was this satisfactory to her. Wrote back to FOS and ask how that figure had been arrived at and what was the breakdown between various charges, They came back in about a week and basically said they were not sure how they were arrived at 'by the Bank'. They would enquire but probablly take a little time. Interest charges were not in their remit as yet as there was a lot of dicusion involving the Office of Fair Trading.

I am not sure as to how I would go about getting charges back from the Halifax. They areat present are holding paperwork up with the official reciever, and they have done so since before Christmas. They are holding everything up as to the finality of the bankrupcy.

They helped put us in this situation and we need the charges back, nearly £1,000. can some -one help and steer me in the right direction. thanks

Heard from the Financial Ombudsman today, they're getting 1,000 enquiries per day.

From what I can gather from the e-mail ALL banks are settling before a formal decision is made - so you'll get your money back via this route but no interest as highlighted above.

--

Dear Steve,

My apologies for the delay in dealing with your enquiry, I was out of

the office last week. In terms of your query as a confidential service,

we are unfortunately, not able to give out the details of either party

in a dispute. However, we are receiving up to 1,000 enquiries a day and

so are being contacted by consumers about most of the major banks. In

all the cases that have been formally referred to us, the firms have so

far made offers to refund all the charges.

I am sorry that I am unable to give you the information / confirmation

that you wanted.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Has anyone here been to the FO with their claim?

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Read all this thread, and have emailed the FO along the same lines as most on here.

I believe Battleaxe or a posting nearby suggested a class action against the FO?

Surely their must be a responsibility/rule/statute they are in breach of in their failings - that could be used as a test case to enforce their duty...

Who do the Fo report to? I know that they are a ruling body themselves - but as far as a Government body, there must be a person, dept or House that complaints must be seen to be accountable.

Can we petition the PM to ask the FO for a firm view/statement/ruling?

Or, will the PM do FA to help CAG members et al, about OD and Unpaid DD or SO payments, and more is the question, will B&Q MFI and C&A reduce their pillow prices (my head hurts!) RROFLMFAO

TTFN

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

From what they are saying ALL complaints are being settled at present.

The banks aren't going as far as refusing to cough up, as such no formal decision has been made by them with relation to penlaty charges as the banks aren't going all the way to contest a complaint.

Guest Battleaxe

I have lodged a comp,aint wiht the FO regarding A & L closing our account on 4 March 2007. They want so much information but heck why not if I amgoing to another £125.00 out of A & L.

This is going to be interesting/

I've just written to Lloyds TSB telling them that I have no intention of involving the FO in my dispute with them. I also said that in my opinion the FO is a toothless waste of tiem whom I suspect is in their (Lloys TSB) employ

Mike

Thanks Liz - I had already signed this, but looking through the signatures, my name does not appear!, my better half also put her name to it as well - and guess what - not there!

Hmmm Whats happening?

If my advice has helped, please click on my scales. Thank you!

MBNA - CRA file to be cleared then finished!

Abbey Personal - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

Capital One - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court

GMAC - Sent DCA SAR 9th March 07 - confirmed not legally assigned.

Waiting for GMAC to provide breakdown of charges and CCA under s79

Alliance & Leicester - Final LBA 28/5/7 - then Court.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As promised I said i would keep you informed of the progress of my complaint of which is with the financial ombudsman regarding my ppi.

Today i received a letter :D to inform me that my case has been passed over for investigation with the Casework Manager, and that they will keep us informed of the progress of the complaint.

We have been waiting for this since Nov 2006, as the last letters we had were informing us that it would be a few weeks yet before they do this due to the large volume of complaints.

Lets hope this one won't take so long lol !!!

Anyway, i will get back to you as soon as i hear more-cheers.;)

Di xx