Law - non dellivery by a courier

pfonseka
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I order a bike collection from a courier. The bike wasn't dellivered but I only notice 15 days latter (because the delliver was to be in a friends home in UK)

The courier told me they lost the bike and they are looking for it. They also told me that I should made the claim until 7 days after the dellivery date.

They have this info on their terms and conditions.

Is this 7 days period to claim valid or the comon law override this terms?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english.

totally arbitrary time limit. The law allows 6 years after an event to make a claim but I wouldnt think that a court would be happy if you left it until them before saying something hadnt been delivered.

In short, they are in the wrong but you will need to use their own complaints procedures first and follow them very carefully and still give them another opportunity to sort matters out otherwise you do not stand a chance of winning a court claim.

Hi rebel11, no the courier is sot that. I've used this courier many times and never had a problem. That's another reason why I was not worried before.

I will wait and try to solve this with the courier. I was surprised that they have a 7 days limit to the sender make a claim for a non dellivery...

This courier allways use a famous transportation company to make their collections. The consigment note was signed and has the brand of that big company.

Has I have this consigment note from the transportantion company, can I ask them responsabilities or I only can do it with the company/courier I've made the order?

Follow the couriers complaints procedure. Then come back. The timeframes they state mean nothing. The 7 days thing is possibly so they can try and locate the bike.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Follow the couriers complaints procedure. Then come back. The timeframes they state mean nothing. The 7 days thing is possibly so they can try and locate the bike.

I've contacted them and they are trying to find the bike.

I'm just making "my home work" thinking in the possibility of they don't find it.

As I'm in Portugal I think i won't be easy to solve this if they don't find it... but at leat I got to try.

If they dont find it. Then you sue them for cost of bike and any legal costs you incur.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Where did you purchase the bike from?

Hi, I bought the bike on ebay, and order the collection to a courier. The seller shipped the bike (he has the conigment note signed by the courier)

At this momment the courier asked me for the ebay invoive... but the bike its a collectable/antique bike and worth much more than I've payed. Recently I've bought some equal parts from ebay (I've invoices) and I've payed much more than I've payed for this bike.

It would be helpful if you can reveal the name of the courier company, or even better link us to their terms and conditions. A lot of it depends on the exact wording of the T&Cs, the details are very important.

Your contract will be with the courier company rather than the transportation company, so I think you should deal with the courier.

Legally, you would be entitled to the value of the item, even if it is more than what you paid. However, it could be very difficult to prove that the bike is worth more than what you paid.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Hi,

I got to say that the courier is trying to solve the problem and they told me that they will activate the insurance. I don't have permition to add links to my posts, so I leave here the courier name paisleyfreight .com/terms.php

The bicycle price it's not easy to know because it's a vintage/unique bicycle. But in the last months I've bought many used parts equal to the ones on the bike (lights, handle bar, saddle, gears, ...), and this parts alone have more value that the value I've payed for the all bike.

By now I'm trying to solve this case with the courier.

Thanks for your help

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

The courier activate an insurance claim and want to pay me 80£ (the invoice value that I've payed for the bike)

I've spent more than that on equal parts that the bike had (I have invoices from this year)

Some examples:

£ 50 - Joseph Lucas Dynamo / Lamp Set

£ 22 - BSA 3 speed Dynohub

£ 26 - BSA gear changer

£ 24 - Sunbeam chain case

£ 15.49 - Sunbeam Handle Bar (without grips)

What can I do to claimfor a higher value?

Thanks

If you have the invoices, to prove the extra spend, then that is what you should be asking the courier company to reimburse you .. Do not let the original documents out of your possession. Copy them and email/post them to whomever is dealing with your claim and confirm this is what you want them to repay you.

I will also ask others to look in on you with further advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That invoices are to show the real value of the bike, I bought those parts to other equal bike.

the 80 I have payed for the bike at the auction were a bargain

Edited by pfonseka

Hi,

I have been advised that is most likely you will only be able to base your claim on the Ebay value.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Pfonseka,

Because you never received the bike, you had no chance to have an expert examine it and give a value.

The value of similar individual parts do not necessarily indicate the value of a complete bike.

Accordingly, the only accurate guide to the bike's value is what you paid to buy it in a public auction on ebay.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

To be honest I think it will be very difficult to try and argue that the bike had a higher value than what you paid for it. We have no way of knowing what condition the individual parts were in. The only way you might get away with it is if you would need to pay more than the £80 to buy a similar bike.

They are also protected by their T&Cs on this which state they are not liable for any 'loss of profit' - this is a very common exclusion. The most you can ask for is the cost of purchasing a replacement bike because you can't claim for any profit you would have made on splitting it up and selling the parts.

They might cough up if you filed a small claim against them, but I don't think that is realistic if you are in Portugal.